Star Wars: Rogue One U-Wing display model spotted

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hi fellas,

time for me to launch another thread now. ;)

Rogue Friday has passed and the world is thrilled by new SW merch. Much is ordinary stuff (action figures; we in Germany got the entire basic figure wave two weeks ago; I got one of the new Stormtroopers with that fantastic helmet sculpt and the exchangeable chest pieces ;) ), something is really hot (a life-size stormtrooper helmet).

However, ONE thing in particular caught my attention: A big display model of the U-Wing hanging from the ceiling at Walmart's. It looks like it was made from thicker cardboard and looks quite nice (aside from the thick wings but I assume that was done intentionally to prevent them from sagging). Here are some pics taken by rpf member hallifax:

c26600d303578fa592086a75e0b7abee.jpg

a8c2099392856c38748599e8256f1b60.jpg

source: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=267067&p=4089433#post4089433

So my question (and the reason for me to start this thread) is:

Is anybody working on a paper model of the U-Wing or does anybody know if one is already available?

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Currently I personaly don't know about anyone reporting online who makes paper model of this. From this site http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1688496 I have downloaded this nice 3d model of U-wing but I am not planning to make paper model of it right now (I have hands full of X-wing :)):
View attachment 153931

Geeze! Bigpetr, Did you look at that file! It would take hours to remove, if not days, all the unnecessary lines and what not to get to the basic shape. A paper model could definitely be made from this, but I can't believe how much stuff is just piled on, and there is no use of "Layers", which means a line by line reverse engineering. Lots of work. Not into Star Wars enough to justify using the few years I have left on this planet. Of course, a simple version could be made that would satisfy most. This CAD model has all the "greebles". Thanks for the link! It's kind of tempting. This pic is a low resolution and leaves out around 10,000 triangles that are useless, for the making of a paper model. :)

AAAaah!!!.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I would take this model as a base and copy the basic shape in a more simplistic version. Heck, this design is so angled, it is literally screaming for being turned into a paper model..! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Yes Yes, I looked at the file:). I was little overwhelmed at first too, but when I switch to rendered view mode in Rhino (pic i posted) it does not seem so scary to me anymore. As Revell-Fan said, it is angled design. Greebles are all modeled in this 3d model, and all surfaces are triangulated so it makes it looks realy complicated. But if you strips it from greebeles, what is left are few relatively simple geometric shapes. I can make unfoldable model from this wery quickly, and will be hapy to to do it, if there is some volunter who takes the baton and unfold and texture it, because for that i have no time rignt now :). So who is
coming forward:Grin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank goodness I'm not alone..! Time is my problem, too. I can quickly produce a 3D model but the test building, adapting and making the instructions are the biggest challenges. :)

Reactions: bigpetr

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Agree with Zathros...there is a ton of useless stuff here..that could be done better ( for paper that is ) but after stripping the mesh out of the .stl file, and some work ( lots ) it could be done..and you could have the satisfaction of being the first one....or just wait and they will show up!
U-Wing.jpg
Transferred as .obj to Pepakura...

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I did quick little research on U-wing and right now, for my taste, there is poor reference material to design exact paper model :). 3d model presented here is not as exact as I thought.

Even the dimensions of this craft are not clear. According to Hasbro toy U-wing is approximately as big as x-wing and is one seated vehicle. But from moovie trailer it seems U-wing is much bigger, has large two seated cockpit and cargo space where few other people can easily stand.

So I will wait for more references to show up before trying to design paper model.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hasbro's vehicles are notoriously undersized (except from the Rebels X-Wing and BMF) ;) . There is a new R1 vehicles and stuff book in the works which will be available soon. I'm counting on finding it at my local public library next year:

new-rogue-one-official-posters-pyramid-int-hd-a-star-wars-story-_-u-wing-schematic.jpeg

This might be a good starting point (this and the Revell and Bandai model kits). So far there is this from the ILM FX archives:

the-incom-ut-60-u-wing1.gif

ZZ0E2BA081.jpg

u-wing+rogue+one+concept+art

https://www.google.de/search?q=rogue one u.wing&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio_rip5MrPAhVbFMAKHbHeCFcQsAQIIA&biw=1366&bih=627#tbm=isch&q=rogue one u-wing

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you for your help Revell-fan, I am aware of this material, I googled that stuff. I started to make bacis shapes but stoped at some point, because R1 book drawing has mistakes (shape of engines for one), so I do not trust it anymore and there are parts I can not solve even from ILM refernce turntable (wish it has bigger resolution:))