Star Wars Republic Star Destroyer - Building Thread

starbuck

Many time went by since my last post. It was a very busy time, and those who know me a little bit, know that I was not doing nothing. Mostly I was drawing pictures, and preparing garden for spring.

I decided to build the Republic Star Destroyer. As I have seen there are not so many details - so it might be an easy model - we will see.

The model consists of 4 pages. First parts are rather big once and include a enforcement as can be seen on pic 3.

Additionally I finalized the stand and the tail.

The remaining part on page 4 is the first part of the "superstructure".

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    832 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    969.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I would have cut that tabs off, and used "L" shaped tabs, glued in place, using a piece of paper stock, to make sure it is set back far enough, but you seem to have nailed it. It looks so square and true. Great job!!

Your pictures are wonderful additions to this forum, Zealot can't lose with you. :)

starbuck

Thank you Zathros.
You are talking about the enforcements I suppose. They are formed this way ][ and they fit perfectly. It stabalized the model although used "normal" paper.

Enclosed the parts of the superstructure.
First I thought I would not be able to bring the parts together. So I recommend to study the pictures of the model very closely. Take time to assamble it and doublecheck before glueing.
Maybe my pictures of the assambling help for future builds.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    980.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Yor edges are pretty good. You will see in the future, as you start building more complicated models, the tabs will interfere. In other places, the will add great stability, especially inside of tubes, and similar structural supports, the also help lines not appear through the skin of a model, from a former, like a wing former, on a wing spare, of an airplane or jet. ;)

starbuck

Thx Raven.
Zathros - You are right, sometimes the tabs are not helpful - I already found out.
On superstructure parts there were some tabs which I cut away, as the made life more complicated than they helped.

Coming to the aux engines. I don´t like if the blow out of the mashines (i mean the blue parts of the aux engines) are at the very end of the engines.

So I cut them completey and glued them at the place were the parts come together - see last pic.

But they are to small for this place. So I had to cut other ones. The Edges (now visible) were colored with copic marker.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    984.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    937.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 10

starbuck

Now all parts are assambled. To be able to glue the parts correctly I inverted the back section for the moment.
Picture 1 shows the correct assambling of the part and picture 2 shows the inverted part for gluing.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I like how you recessed the blue discs on the engine exhausts to make them a bit more "realistic".
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!! :King:

starbuck

And the final pics of the star destroyer.

Summing up it is an easy build. Only tricky part is the superstructure - but if you check the reference photos carefully you will find out very fast how to assamble.

Nice model - not too many details.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Looks good, but the tail end buckled because of the stress the tabs put on the flat surface. If you had laminated it maybe 3 times, it might not have happened, but could have caused the fuselage to buckle. On large plates/surfaces like that, area the most sensitive to the misalignment that tabs produce. It could be fixed by cutting it out with an X-Acto blade, then making your own tabs, as discussed earlier. This will ensure a flat surface and enhance the finished model. There's no other way to remove the buckling. ;)

Last edited:

starbuck

Thanks again for the tip. Youre right - enforcements definitifely make sense. Mostly I do not take the time to think about additional enforcements - just happy building. At the end I see the problem and the model is marked as "do it again and make it better". ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I have to be brutally honest, if I had that in my hands right now, I would be watching T.V. and playing "Star Wars" in my head, some kind of scene where the ship comes across a massive computer screen, then they realize their in some strange parallel universe, but they are very small. I'd have to practice many take off and lands, loops, rolls, good stuff, crazy stuff!!! :)