Star Trek TWOK Regula 1 space station by Mikos (& Revell-Fan ;) )

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@Revell-Fan This is coming along very well!

@Mikos Do you have any of your kits in your computer? If you do can upload them. If you need help, I can help you with it.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Hello... :)
I'm sorry, but my life has some little changes and now there are not really time for builds. :(
It ok to host the station. :) Rhaven and if you have any other model from my old HP, don't ask, feel free to host it. :)
By the way Zathros... I've always been here. ;)

I understand, I meant seeing you post. I think we're interested in any and everything you have!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awesome, Mikos - THANK YOU! :Bravo:

I have taken a look at the PDOs Mikos has sent me. The model is modular, so you will be able to fabricate your very-own Federation star base. :cool:

The second station with the huge platform arrays looks absolutely stunning. I'm sure it will become a great hit with Wargamers and diorama builders.

I was able to edit the mesh in SketchUp in order to remove two intersections. All parts are buildable now.

In addition, I'm able to make the cylinders below the station to make Regula 1. You will LOVE the final package..! ;)

One last issue remains: The resolution. The parts pages were exported at 100 dpi which, well, looks good. Exporting them again at 300 dpi will make it look VERY good (enough for enlarging ;) ).

CU! :)

Mikos

Awesome, Mikos - THANK YOU! :Bravo:

I have taken a look at the PDOs Mikos has sent me. The model is modular, so you will be able to fabricate your very-own Federation star base. :cool:

The second station with the huge platform arrays looks absolutely stunning. I'm sure it will become a great hit with Wargamers and diorama builders.

I was able to edit the mesh in SketchUp in order to remove two intersections. All parts are buildable now.

In addition, I'm able to make the cylinders below the station to make Regula 1. You will LOVE the final package..! ;)

One last issue remains: The resolution. The parts pages were exported at 100 dpi which, well, looks good. Exporting them again at 300 dpi will make it look VERY good (enough for enlarging ;) ).

CU! :)
Have fun with it... ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow! This really is an excellent collaboration. You guys are part of the heart of the forum. Thanks you Mikos, so much!!

Thanks you Revell-Fan, for your tireless efforts.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had to cheat a bit to bring the CG model closer to the filming model. The core part is too high and the "hat" too low. Usually I would stretch and bend the pieces in question till they look right. However, in this case I am forced to work with an untextured model because the model lost all texture maps when I extracted it from Pepakura and imported it in Sketchp. This required a more creative solution because I will have to alter the texture after unfolding which can be quite a drag. In order to reduce the amount of work to a minimum I took the parts I already had and tried to change their shape AND their texture at the same time. One of the options I had was scaling.

Everything below the red line is cut off. The remaining cone with the green line is scaled up till its sides meet the sides of the neighbouring cone below. Luckily Mikos had already split the model at this line so this will be my base (great thinking ;) ). The cone with the blue line is stretched vertically till it meets the green line cone. The texture will be stretched in Gimp on the canvas later. Since the texture repeats itself on the smaller cone I only need to alter one segment and copy and paste it 16 times - piece of cake.

DSCF3600a.jpg

Having performed all changes the final model will hopefully look a bit like this:

regula1.jpg

The white parts are new. The open hangars will be adapted (they are slightly too large and they have a separating wall inside - no problem, too). Unless you hang a screenshot beside it you will hardly notice the deviations. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
[QUOTE="Mikos, pos
[QUOTE="They will keep me occupied for a while because there are 12 in total... :sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue: CU! :)[/QUOTE]

Now that's dedication!!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Mikos, you are making my head blow up!! What a blessing!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I had to cheat a bit to bring the CG model closer to the filming model. The core part is too high and the "hat" too low. Usually I would stretch and bend the pieces in question till they look right. However, in this case I am forced to work with an untextured model because the model lost all texture maps when I extracted it from Pepakura and imported it in Sketchp. This required a more creative solution because I will have to alter the texture after unfolding which can be quite a drag. In order to reduce the amount of work to a minimum I took the parts I already had and tried to change their shape AND their texture at the same time. One of the options I had was scaling.

Everything below the red line is cut off. The remaining cone with the green line is scaled up till its sides meet the sides of the neighbouring cone below. Luckily Mikos had already split the model at this line so this will be my base (great thinking ;) ). The cone with the blue line is stretched vertically till it meets the green line cone. The texture will be stretched in Gimp on the canvas later. Since the texture repeats itself on the smaller cone I only need to alter one segment and copy and paste it 16 times - piece of cake.

View attachment 152728

Having performed all changes the final model will hopefully look a bit like this:

View attachment 152727

The white parts are new. The open hangars will be adapted (they are slightly too large and they have a separating wall inside - no problem, too). Unless you hang a screenshot beside it you will hardly notice the deviations. :)

You sir are tireless and one of the most Industrious persons I have ever known! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have just adapted the title slightly. ;)

Thanks, Z! I'm cleaning up my HDD a bit so it could take a day or two till more updates arrive. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
UPDATE TIME! :)

The mounting arms:

DSCF3907.jpg

DSCF3908.jpg

There are four of them. Once the platforms are added they look like this:

DSCF3923.jpg

These are glued to the bottom of the middle ring.

Eight greeblies are built:

DSCF3902.jpg

DSCF3904.jpg

DSCF3906.jpg

They are glued around the core piece. I made a bad mistake and glued them to the wrong locations so some of them block the hangar doors, however, since this is only a study model used for comparison with Regula 1 I'll leave them for the time being.

Last but not least a display stand is made:

DSCF3965.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
@Revell-Fan As always, you have done a GREAT JOB!!!:Drinks:
By the way, you have me hooked on these frakking cross eyed 3-D images!:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have successfully revised the parts pages for the standard station. Many parts were rejoined to reduce the cutting lines. In addition, the scale was adapted to accomodate the scale of the upcoming Regula. Now the station is 44 % bigger (it is like printing it on A3 instead of A4 paper). However, the most important thing when exporting an unfold with Pepakura is: Do not use a resolution below 150 dpi. Since the latest Pep version is able to handle huge texture maps (four times as big as the older versions) I would even say, do not export anything below 300 dpi. I have cobbled together a little comparison to show you how important this rule is:

new-res.jpg

See? :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:frak:

I can't upload the starbase kit to the Resources! So the glitch is not restrained to picture uploads.

OK, well then...:ass-kicking:

The parts for Regula 1 are coming along nicely. I have taken some screenshots depicting how I altered the texture of the kit to match the new parts for Regula. It was not as difficult as I feared and worked fairly well. I'm looking forward to the first printed parts. The arboretum parts are ready, too. I'm now making the new mounting arms and the new platforms. The previous ones do not match the ones from Regula and require a complete redesign. They will consist of four parts like the previous ones but these parts are shaped differently.

Since I want to keep the amount of work as low as possible and to keep the beautiful original texture intact I have left the upper main hangar section as provided by the game model maker(s) (aside from the scaling and cutting I described earlier in this thread). I'm sure that you won't notice the deviations at this scale.

According to the screenshots I have the arboretum section (the bottom ring with the large windows) looks like it is shaped like a ring with something in the center. This construction seems a bit delicate to me because the four tubes will be attached somehow to that "something". I can't figure out exactly how this is done. For that reason I have decided to leave the arboretum solid (so no ring structure) and use the texture to mimick the hole. That makes the build much easier and more stable.

If you come up with a better solution you are free to do so. The only thing I ask you is to put the revised parts in the Resource section later so that everyone can benefit from and enjoy them. :)