Star Trek TNG:- "Yesterday's Enterprise" Diorama - micro build log

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You did that with tape!! Oh I like you more with each post you make! Deceivingly simple. Superb!

Reactions: linweseregon

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Putting the planet in a corner is exactly what I had in mind! (So it is 2.5 D ;).) Great job so far; I would have changed the colours of NIII a bit and applied some clouds though to make it look more natural, but hey - it's an alien planet, what do I know how it looks in reality :D!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Ohhhh, these are from Tobias Richter (The Light Works). He is one of the best CG artists and does the VFX on "Star Trek: Phase II / New Voyages".

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
yeah they are really great shows. im impressed by many that I have seen. obviously these are not finished shots but he asked not to reveal the source as a teaser.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I agree! with one nacelle lit up and spinning, and a few lights, running lights, welding blinkers, ect... would be cool.

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
Revell-Fan must have performed a mind meld -lol
10.JPG
Today I was working on cloud cover, as well as smoke coming from the remains of the outpost. I've also placed a flickering yellow LED in a cone inside the globe.It might have been a better idea to do this before gluing the globe to the backdrop! ;) For the clouds I just pulled some cotton wool so that it was really thin, then I attached it to the right angled edge of some clear packing from a flash drive.
I cut a hole slightly larger than the Ent-C in a sheet of card after attaching a starscape to both sides. I then cut five more holes large enough to hold blue LED's and wired them through the back of the box before gluing on various thicknesses of cotton wool and attaching one side of the partition. This is the Ent-C leaving TNG time:-
12.JPG
And emerging in it's own time:-
11.JPG
So far I've mounted one warbird. I had to cut into it's head to mount a green LED and bore a hole through the front for a fibre optic filament. More work needs to be done on the filament as it still isn't glowing properly.
13.JPG
And the Enterprise-C is immediately under attack:-
14.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This diorama is really coming together BEAUTIFULLY!!!
The amount of work, time, effort, and energy that you put into these dioramas really shows through in the final product!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The clouds look FANTASTIC (all of them ;)!)!

... I thought the C would fire first since she knew what was awaiting her. But again - what do I know, I wasn't there! :D:D:D

EDIT: Oh, right, the interferences caused by the rift might have rendered the C's sensors blind so that they were unable to see the attacking Warbird... :)

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
I've added a shield to the Ent-C:-
15.JPG
I found a handy piece of plastic packing with a good shape,punched a hole in it for the fibre optic filament to hold it in place and used a dab of PVA for stability. I then mounted the other warbird from "The Defector" and the cloaked warbird:-
16.JPG
I still need to build the fourth warbird and it'll be mounted more centrally. I reckon I'll have the last one firing torpedoes.
On the other side the Ent-D and a bop have been mounted:-
17.JPG
So Scotty said, "Ye cannae break the laws of physics,Captain!" Who cannae?!? lol The phaser fibre optic will be straight once the PVA dries and I pull everything into position ;). Here's another from above:-
18.JPG
A yellow LED mounted inside the bop body doubles as an explosion and a light source for the phaser.
19.JPG

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
@linweseregon, I am BLOWN AWAY at your imagination and creativity! The fact that you are able to recreate these iconic scenes from ST-TNG is AMAZING!!!
I like the idea of using the piece of plastic to show the phaser fire being defected by the deflector shields of the Enterprise-C. I also like the BOP exploding as the Enterprise-D is firing upon it.

@spaceagent-9, after looking on the internet for the original BOP, it seems that the front domes on the nacelles were either red or blue.
Either way, good luck with it!