Star Trek scales?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Mar 18, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I fancy making a few of the classic original series ships, but have a bit of a question for hte wise ones out there!

Obviously, I want to make them all to the same scale, so that they all sit nicely together. I don;t want a huge Enterprise, sitting next to a tiny Reliant and so on. No-one seems to quote scales in the data, and I have no idea where to go to get models of the right dimensions.

Is there any 1 source I should go to, or is there a 'standard' scale?

Last resort for me would be to do them all myself...but I have other projects I would much rather do, and other calls on my time.
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey FB, not sure if you've seen this site, but Jeff's 'Amazingly Amazing' Starship Dimensions site might be a starting point for you.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks Gearz ... yes, thats I site I know :thumb:

I was hoping to be able to download and build a few models without having to re-scale them all to fit together. If there is a standard size or a site where I can get loads of ships all to the right scale, then that's what I want! Most of the Trek ships I have seen for download make no mention of scale.....
  4. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Hello FB!

That subject of the scales is an old discussion, I have three scales that I use in my Star Trek models 1/1000, 1/1700 and 1/400, if the subject is smaller than a starship (pod, shuttles, small ships) I like to use the most traditional scales 1/100, 1/72 and 1/48.

Designers as Martin Sanger, D Whale and Diego Cortez use the scale 1/1700 that is very good for ships of the era TNG a lot, but small for it was TOS and TMP...

I have been using to 1/1700 for space subjects, but my favorite scale is 1/1000.
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Ahh...Ok...thanks Gomidefilho..thats handy to know!

1/1000 sounds about right...I think! I would want a model that was around 6"-9" as an ideal shelf sitter, and would be looking primarily for TOS ships. with a few slightly later ones thrown in where I really feel the need!

Things would be so much easier if people actually put the scale of a model in the readme etc, or actually worked to a fixed scale a bit more! I might find myself designing a series of Trek ships to meet my own needs .... but I have plenty of other projects to finish before that! Some simple...some quick...and some 'wishlist' ships that will take forever to build, but just HAVE to be done by someone sometime!

Anyway...digression aside... Can anyone post a list of links to 1/1000 scale TOS ships?
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

1/1000 isn't to bad, but when you get down to 1/2500 you're really reaching. The ships become so small as to be almost indefinable. However, if you have the room, 1/650, or 1/350 is doable, until you get to the Enterprise. A 1/350 Enterprise-E would be massive. the TOS E is 32.5 inches long at that scale. Still, if you've room.....:thumb::mrgreen::cool:

I have a scale chart as well, if you need one.
  7. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Chuckle, I've done the scale math conversion on the Big-E dash E more times than is healthy for a normal American male (fortunately I am not one of those). A 1/1000 edition is 27" and change. At 1/500 its ~55". A 1/350 edition is more than 6 feet!

And yet, what am I working on now?! A 1/1000 "dash A" (resin & p1*st!c). Can't believe I spent $80 on this resin kit. I have put weeks into making this model just not look like shootah, never mind a contest winner. Should have printed one of the paper refit-E's and scaled it to 1/1000 and called it good. stoopid-stoopid-stoopid...
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow, thought for sure I had replied to this last post...?

You're right in your size assessments, you're equally right in the cost of some of the styrene and resin kits. Paper is definitely a viable alternative. I've been wanting to do a repaint of an an existing card model of the E-E, but cannot get a hold of the original creator, to ask his permission. I've got a set of meshes that would make for and awfully nice E that could be resized to quite a large craft.
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Where did you get it? I've seen the ones from Starship Modeler's and Federation Model's stores in person and I don't think they'd take much work to make them look great, as they are already quite sharp in detail. :?
  10. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

FB In download section here in the Zealot my Star Trek models all in 1/1000 scale TOS exist a classic NCC-1701, a NX-01 and USS Australia (Asia Class) in two scales (1/1000 and 1/1700) in the forum exist a thread for Star Trek paper model links exist many ships "scalable" in the links.:thumb:

Still in relation to discussion of the scale, I think the resin models are very expensive even in the United States and in Europe, in Brazil nor it is worthwhile to mention the price. I think the cheapest and more flexible way to have a great collection of ships Star Trek is the paper. I opted for the scale 1/1700 for space subjects and why taste of small models. But we have to recognize that an Enterprise D or it is in the 1/1000 would be an impressive replica. :twisted:
  11. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I'm going to be coy, to avoid any possible flame wars. You want the one from Federation Models. That kit as I understand it, was initially modeled in a CAD program, and prototyped using 3d lithography. Its a great kit, but it was available after I had put a couple of weeks into fixing mine. The kit I am working has all kinds of profile issues, and most of the details, are crude at best, outright wrong at worst. Also, my previously mentioned purchase price must be wrong, since it doesn't match starship modeler's price. This may be too much detail, but I don't want you to pick the wrong kit.

I am finishing my project because its so close to being done, and I've decided I wanted to show off what you can do with some attention to detail, and a couple of sheets of Evergreen. I may not post the pictures here, but at least I'll put a pointer in to where you can see them. Plus, I think I'm addicted to fixing Refit Enterprise Kits. I wrote the initial accurization article on the AMT/Ertl kit on Starship modeler.