Star Trek DS9:- Operation Return Diorama - 'micro' build log

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
Thanks all :D

Now the real brain damage begins! lol I'm using Paragon's design for the Jem'Hadar fighters and I've shrunk them to 6mm in width. I've started with the nacelle supports at the rear of the ships:-
28.JPG
Paragon provided templates for up to five layers; I'll be using single layers where possible otherwise I'll end up with far too much bulk. So far I've managed to cut all the 'large' nacelle supports and it's taken me all day - I'm building 30 (minimum) of these wee guys.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
!!!!!! Holy Schmolly! Have fun! :)

p.s. Looks great, by the way.

Reactions: linweseregon

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@zathros @Rhaven Blaack Thanks guys :D

@kirby stewart It gets easier after a few months ;). The hardest part is not breathing a sigh of relief when I've cut the smallest pieces! lol

I'm a third of the way through the rear ends now. The struts are just big enough to be lifted by hand - the rest need the damp toothpick point method. The smallest pieces are on the front end and measure 1.5x0.5mm. I'm having to cut these while I'm cutting the rear end parts due to their position on the design template and I dread to think how many I've already lost. Fortunately, I printed enough templates to make 60 bugs so I've got plenty of spare parts ;).

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
I finished all the back ends of the Jemmie bugs and started cutting the parts for the fronts in batches of five to avoid monotony and so that I had some visible progress:-
30.JPG
The first group of ten has been finished at a grand total of 8mm in length:-
31.JPG
I found some charts of Star Trek ships which were all in the same scale and selected all the ships involved in Operation Return and made a new chart. I already had a template for the Galaxy class in the correct scale for this diorama, so I shrunk the chart to make the Galaxy saucer the same width. From there I've shrunk the designs that I have to the same dimensions as the OR chart and pasted them onto the sheet I had for the Galaxy class thus ensuring that all the ships are in the same scale :D. I can't recall whose charts I used so I apologise profusely for not giving credit to whoever compiled them, but this is the OR compilation that I'm using:-
1.jpg
and I've just noticed that the Hideki is missing! :facepalm:

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
The "Jemmie bugs" (as you called them) look GREAT!!! Although, I can see why you made them in small batches. It is very tedious work.
I COMMEND you on doing a FINE JOB!
The chart looks really good as well. It is always a good idea to have a point of reference when you are working on something like this. It keeps you focused and on track with what all you are doing and it also allows you to see if certain things can OR can not be done in that scale.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
Many thanks for the high praise guys :D. I'm just over the halfway mark with them now and I've noticed that I've stuck quite a few nacelles on the wrong way round :facepalm: - I'll just have to use those as kamikazes and I've always got plenty more templates to fall back on.

Reactions: Cforrest900

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You may use this in case one of the little buggers is trying to escape:

k10705642.jpg

source: http://sr.photos2.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP990/k10705642.jpg

:D:D:D

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The bugs might me multiplying if you put them in a dark box, keep them warm and dry and leave them there for a while... And don't forget to put some food inside; it is said they like burritos! :D:D:D