Star trek 11: Enterprise minimodel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rawen, May 8, 2009.

1. trekman1017

trekman1017 Member

the movie is the sceond best, nothing tops first contact (except at the box office)
  2. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Wrath of Khan was the best IMHO, but First Contact is easily in the top three.
  3. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Yeah, I would agree with you, OGW
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Best line of the NuMovie:

"(to prove his point about beaming long distances) I beamed Admiral Archer's pet Beagle to Mars, you know!"

"What happened to him?"

"Dunno. I'll tell ya when he re-appears." sign1

"Do they still have sandwiches?" sign1

I thought McCoy was the most quotable character in Trek, with Q being a close second, but I'm beginning to think that NuScotty will be another powerhouse of quotes.

5. Poor Poor Porthouse. He was a nice dog :cry:
  6. BradAmeerBeg

BradAmeerBeg Member

Very nice!! And the movie's only just come out!
  7. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

It was "Porthos" (3 Musketeers) not porthouse hehehe

My sisters and I agree that McCoy was the weakest link of the lot, not enough good writing for him. Scotty got short-shifted, we all agree. Not enough lines, and his genious wan't really displayed much (he does the one thing at the end, that's it)
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well they did get in two of the three the classic McCoy lines:

"Dammit man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!"

"Are you outta your Vulcan mind?!"

The last one being:

"He's dead, Jim."

. . . which I hope is in the next movie.

The point of this movie was to develop the relationship between the big three, moreso with Kirk and Spock's relationship than McCoy's, and they did very well with it. Give it some time to develop the relationships between the other characters.

Oh, and "I like this ship. Well it's excitin'!" Classic. :mrgreen:
  9. ahh new it didnt look right still poor dog
  10. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey Rawen, any progress on this or your 1701-A minimodel? Do you plan on releasing either of them to the rest of us to build?
  11. Rawen

Rawen New Member

Hello, after a long time.
    I released a prototype for the betatest in the first post of this thread. I have not complete the instructions, but the model is very simple ( for help use blueprints from or other great site )
  12. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Where can we get hold of this?
  13. cmags

cmags Guest

First post.

Rawen, this looks pretty good. What's wrong with the Nacelles? I'm willing to give it a shot after I finish with Paragon's beta USS Hood...
  14. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

Got it :thumb:.
  15. cmags

cmags Guest

Hey Rawen, you still around? I downloaded your files and was trying to scale the thing to be 1:1700 to do a test build for you, but I can't figure out the relative scale between the two pages. They're both at 300dpi, but one fills a page while the other is much smaller. Putting them together, they don't seem the right size. The primary hull pylon is too big to match the appropriate space on the saucer. Should the pages both just be printed as a full page, ignoring resolution? Also, what was it you wanted to focus on with the nacelles?

The first thing I notice that could/should be updated is that the upper half of the saucer should be larger than the lower half, creating an angled edge strip (this requires that the edge strip be round, not straight).
  16. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Very nice work
  17. Rawen

Rawen New Member

Ok - i make a samo format for both pages - like in my minipanzers. This Enterprise is my first designed starship - previous i make only uprgrades for star trek models. I post new files today or tommorow.

Thanks for info!
  18. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

I made this model myself, and thought it was pretty well done. The general form of the model seems to follow the filming model fairly accurately but I did make some changes (entirely by hand).

I started by making the saucer thinner. It just seemed too thick relative to it's diameter. I also trimmed the bridge down to about half it's height and also cut out that greenish dome on top to make it stand out more.

I had to double up on the engine pylons (making them for card sheets thick) in order to get them to hold shape and alignment. I also added some texture to the engines by cutting out the grills in a second copy of the engine and then gluing the new cowlings over the originals.

I made no changes to the engineering hull or neck but I'm thinking of redoing the model and adding new 3D texturing to make them more accurate structurely to the film model.

I've also done paragon's enterprise - does anybody else know of other card models of the new enterprise? Also thisis my first post, hopefully of many!
  19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Did you try my new version of it? The old was was very innacurate, so last week I released a new version.
  20. Modeler0421

Modeler0421 New Member

I haven't had the chance to try you new version yet, but I have checked out the pictures you posted.

If I can offer a few suggestions - In my opinion, based entirely on the pictures I saw, I think the secondary hull needs to be thinned more, allowing the curved cutout section to penetrate deeper into height of the ship, and begin much closer to the front of engineering hull (on the filming model that cutout looks to start about the midpoint of the bulk of the ship's neck, and arch through about half of the hull's entire thickness).

I would also suggest you take a look at the nacelles here on rawen's mini model. Their design is simple, and I think it captures the look and feel of the nacelles. Perhaps use their design as inspiration to design a better engine.

I have found the time to build your new Kelvin, and hope to build the Hood when time presents itself. Great work on both designs! Just two relatively trivial things here - at least on the Kelvin, the saucer should be thinner. In the movie it is actually quite thing relative to is apparent diameter. And I believe the warp engine should have a greater diameter than the secondary hull (I really like the new design you have for the sec. hull!) Anyways, this was an unexpectedly long post late at night, but I hope my suggestions help you to refine and perfect your designs in some small way!