star destroyer work in progress....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gofficfool, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Is that the old ShunPop Star Destroyer in the background? Or is it a prototype of this model?
  2. Toronto

Toronto Member

thanks for replying, and its looking great!

Forgive my ignorance on this field.
  3. sprintx

sprintx Member

i say word: WOW!!! I have cocurention hehe but i want BIIIIIG models. Oh and is here someone who have lifesize X-wing? I buy it :)
  4. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

Island In The Sun

working on the island structures and the gubbins that adds detail to the hull ( big detail lol )

sharp eyes milleniumfalsehood! it's both... the tryout i did and the Sunpop that i was given a link to on this thread ( many thanks again )

SteveK... i got it down to 3 sheets per quarter of the model by doing the sort of shuffling the guys at tamiya do to the contents of their model boxes... i wonder if you can get a degree in that??

anyhoo heres a pep screengrab... oooo all that superstucture to texture...

i can't wait to get down to the fiddly bits.....hoorah!

5. Millenniumfalsehood

If you don't mind taking constructive criticism from a lowley grunt like me, are you going to do the flat planes that surround the main superstructure's sides(I'm talking about the structures in this pic)?You can see a lot of horizontal planes with the details set into them. Ertl's Star Destroyer kit hade these, but they were much more primative than what's on the actual miniature. Starship Modeler has more reference pics like that if you want them, btw. Also, the panel lines on the miniature are more subtle and evenly spaced than the texture you made.
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

This thing is goingto be INSANE!! :twisted:
  7. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

party party

i gotta go to a party tonight so just a quickie :roll:

milleniumfalsehood...... thats the problem with this model...the structures ar'nt to bad to design, but the level of detail????? my idea kinda is to texture the model with designs that any nutter could reprint laminate onto varying thickness's of card and use the origional artwork as a guide... sorta :)

no worries though cos once i've got the model made, i'm gonna try some detailing along those lines

the hull textures probably need toning down, but i can't get enogh detailed shots to do a very acurrate version ( and i value my sanity too much)

was wondering if any of you guys and gals in the US can get to the museum? smithstonian??? if the models are still on display??? and do a photo survey of the actual miniature????? please :)

anyway off to do the 3 s's

8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

9. HaVoC373

HaVoC373 New Member

10. Millenniumfalsehood

IIRC, there are two different Star Destroyers used in the movies: the Devastator-type and Avenger-type. The Devastator type is a lot wider, has a slightly different conning tower, has three deflector things for the engine bells, and has a lower detail level. The Avenger type is characterized by a slenderer top profile, a single ring instead of three deflectors on each engine bell, sensor domes that are alligned with the vertical axis instead of being perpendicular to the surface of the bridge, and has a lot more details.

The links HaVoc373 posted are for the Devastator filming mini from A New Hope and the link MOS95B posted is of the Avenger filming mini from The Empire Strikes Back.

The ShunPop Star Destroyer is a Devastator/Avenger hybrid: it has the body and details of the Devastator, but the bridge and engines of the Avenger. Ths Star Destroyer being designed here appears to be strictly of the Avenger-type so far.
  11. 57townsman

57townsman Member

I think you straightened that out quite nicely :) The lower detail level on the Devastator might be attributed to the small size of the original miniature, only 36 inches. Subsequent ships were built at much larger scales allowing an exponential increase in detail.

Here are some pics of the bridge towers and engines of both classes.

On a side note, the engine bells on the original SD were Leggs Eggs with plastruct T rail inside. I note that there was an Easter Egg model released recently. Any ideas :twisted:

12. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

hey guys! thanks for the nfo!!! really..... i 've been working from a few drawings and a dozen or so decent pics..... no LonGer!!! groovy

btw.... the party was rubbish lol

thanks again to you all
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

"btw.... the party was rubbish lol"

Serves you right for going to a party instead of catering to our every whim!

Just kidding! :D

I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of this! The Star Destroyers that have come before are going to be surpassed far and above by this model!
  14. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

heyyyyy it's the font

found the imperiums font tonight!!!

a name plate for the thing

15. Millenniumfalsehood

That'll look good sitting next to it! Are you going to put in the specifications of the design on another plate?
  16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'm currently building the SF Papercraft Gallery Destroyer, which makes me even more anxious for yours to come out.

The little one is turning out to be a challenge for me, due to the lack of instructions, but the amount of detail that could have been put into the little guy keeps me imagining how it will look at the scale you're doing!!!
  17. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

anvenger many folds

hi all

pretty rubbish weekend.... work and british summertime do not a happy goff make :(

anyway, i'm well on the way to getting superstructure elements and various other "large" hull components test built ( i'll post a pic or two later.....i have about 18 sheets of a4 to cut out and assemble so bear with me :)

i've kinda desided how i'm gonna release this model and how i'm gonna tackle the sheer amount of detail it involves......

1. i'm going to work towards a basic complete model at 2ft long and with my own crappy textures

2. i'm going to release at the same time a pep file of the untextured model

3. i will release " detail " sets over the following months with the intention that they can be retro fitted to the basic model..... the only dificult area would be the docking bays, but if people can put ships in bottles etc i'm sure i can figure it out....

anyone wanna do test builds? :) probably about 4 weeks away from beta release

also any suggestions on how to release this? i was thinking of putting it out as a torrent ???

millenium falsehood.... have u got the tech specs for the avenger class?

mos95b.... it was the lack of detail that really fired me up for this design/build

18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Depending on the size of the file, I think we could work out some hosting for you. There certainly seems to be enough interest to warrant making it easier than trying to track down a torrent.....

Although, having a torrent as a bandwidth backup certainly wouldn't hurt.
  19. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I was just going to say something simular to MOS95B. There is a lot of interest in this build.
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

As you requested, the official(sort of :wink: ) specs:

Avenger Class General Specifications:

Length: 1,606 meters
    Beam: 897 Meters
    Draft: 441 Meters

3x KDY Destroyer-1 Ion Fusion Engines
    4x Gemon-4 Ion Fusion Engines(for emergency use)

Kuat Systems Engineering "Mammoth"-class Hyperdrive

Consumables: 36,000 Metric Tons(minimum)
    Range: 6 years

Shield Generators:

25x Independent Shield Matrices, 32 TJ per second energy absorption capability

300 Laser Cannons
    50 Anti-Starfighter Laser Batteries
    50 Turbolaser Batteries
    6 Heavy Turbolaser Turrets
    60 Ion Cannons
    2 Heavy Ion Turrets

Landing Bays:

1 Primary bay(185 m x 160 m)
    1 Secondary bay(32 m x 56 m)
    2 Tertiary bays(15 m x 10 m)

Auxiliary Craft:

48 TIE Fighters
    12 TIE Interceptors
    12 TIE Bombers
    6 TIE Boarding Craft
    4 Landing Barges(4 AT-AT Assault Vehicles, 4 AT-ST Scout Vehicles)
    2 Lambda Class Shuttles

210 Commisioned Officers
    35,650 Enlisted
    275 Gunners
    164 Pilots
    9,700 Stormtroopers
    630 Medical Personelle
    530 Engineers
    15,000 Maintenance Droids

I made up a few things about this(like the hyperdrive model and the exact numbers of enlisted, medical, and engineers and droids), but most of this is taken from the Star Wars Technical Commentaries page.