star destroyer work in progress....

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gofficfool, Feb 18, 2007.

1. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

release it.... LET GO! :p

hi all!

thanks for the positive comments :)

i feel like a real dumbo! i thought post 24 had full size copies of the design sheets :( beta's don't forget! so i've put the real full size one's on for your delectation... or get em direct from my photobucket site

feel free to dl, print and have a go! i will be making minor revisions cos this is my first design and my first build in paper so i'm learning as i go along.........

still laminating BIG frame components and trying to design good looking trench artwork atm

2. Toronto

Toronto Member

For the control tower, instead of just sticking paper on the surface of it, why not make them pop out, so it would looks like someone just stick some paper on it? how does it sound?
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

Mark, I got just one request, resize your pictures prior to posting. I'm all over the page trying to see them!

4. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

i wuz framed!

hi all....

sunday hangover day :cry:

texman... sorry the last post was so massive but i was trying to get the printable sheets up...... i'll keep others at about 800 x 600 i promise :)

toronto..... not sure what you mean? like make little constructions? please clarify thanks

on to the leviathan.....

i know it's a card model but i wish i'd used some balsa/ply laminations for the hull frames..... they are trying to bend/warp and twist..... probably will be ok once the hull plates are in place and the waist trench boxes are on.

comments please on the trench box art work? i'm going bong eyed looking at it all the time.... does it look ok? not too repetative? like i say, comments please

this artwork will be about 1.5 cm tall when printed

5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I am going to need a new home, with more rooms. If you guys keep designing models like this, I may end up getting a divorce.
  6. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I have to admit, when I first saw this thread, I thought to myself, "another Star Destroyer?, eh, there's a good one already". Then I saw the next posts and thought "oh, no, not another 'half-fast' Pepakura unfold". Then, I saw the tower build, and now I see the size and detail, and all I can say is WOW! I apologise for my earlier doubts, sir! It looks to me like you are well on your way to creating THE Star Destroyer model. On a related note, have you seen, or do you have, the Titanium series diecast of the Blockade Runner? ( That docking bay looks big enough for it to fit in!

Scott K.
  7. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

printer procrastinations

my printer cartridge refuses to behave after a refill!!! curses on it and all it's kind... wasted a whole day messin around with it!

scott K. .... many thanks! i'm one of those irritating obsessives so this project is right up my street :) the big docking bay is a tad over 8.5 cm and i could and may spend a week making a sub kit just of it ( bwuhahahaha it's ALivE!! ) so i expect the diecast probably will fit ... the scale comes out at 1:2424th lol thats if my data on stardestryers is right at 1.9 kilometers long.

paulhbell ....... :) i live on my own after nearly 14 years marriage..... that vile mess called a work bench is in the corner of my living room.... next to the pc which is next to the sounds and thats next to the widescreen..... like a wall of fun!!!! used to model in a big shed but the colds were dreadfull :) only problem i have atm is keeping nosey cats off the workbench.....

right, back to printer intimidating........... stoopid thing

later all

8. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I've been following this for some time, and I have to say that I'm really impressed so far! I had originally had the same thoughts as sdk2knbk, but I'm really awaiting the final product with much anticipation!

Btw, the ISD is 1.6 Km in length, not 1.9. Just FYI. :)
  9. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

hi milleniumfalsehood.......

i calculated at 1.6k and for some reason thought later that it was 1.9k , i think i was getting ahead of my self cos the super star destroyer is 19k

was lookin at the bridge tower on that beast and lookin at the one ive made...... she'd not fit in my garden! lol ah me old dad always said i was a dreamer

10. 57townsman

57townsman Member

WOW Mark,

That's coming along great! OK, I thought the previous pics WERE full size, now they're even bigger :shock: Your side textures look pretty good to me, perhaps add a little more of the horizontal elements. As an option, have you considered using textures from a 3D model? Several are available here:

A similar technique worked amazingly well for the Galactica kit released previously. That used photographic images of a studio scale model.

11. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

hi SteveK.....

i'm really tryin to avoid using other bods graphics on the model..... i did think about converting pics from the miniatures but i'd probably spend about the same time tryin to tie them all together and making them fit.

the basic surface textures not exactly accurate but it catches the feel ( i hope ) and the waist trenches and island walls were origionally kitbashed and are just gubbins that looks stupendously cooool! those miniatures are OLD! and still look amazing.

anyway back with the nose to the grindwheel ;)

12. 57townsman

57townsman Member

I understand completely, nothing like doing it yourself for that special sense of accomplishment:grin:

13. rwguess

rwguess Member

I KNOW I WOULD HAVE a hard time scratch building something like that but
    if there was a items list from radio shack and some kind of plan walk through
    i know i could do it

any one got the skillz to take that on? such a awesome model deserves to be done up in style especially since the builder is doing such a great job

maybe it can be built into the base

just a idea

thanks for the great job

the hermit
  14. HaVoC373

HaVoC373 New Member

i myself was planning to make a 1.5 meter long version of this monster. seeing as my version will be that huuge i am planning to add a leds to it. a friend of mine is into that sorta thing so i hope i can get a decent result with that.
    i'm realy looking forward to the final product :)

keep up the great work!
  15. Toronto

Toronto Member

o sorry for the late reply, the area i circle are the ones i think you should correct:). Dont get me wrong, this is great work.

Instead of just sticking paper on to it, why not make something pop out? For the window, you can even make two layer and make it looks more realistic. But thats just me, thanks for reading
  16. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

thanks toronto.... i see what you mean..... the bridge front will look better if i laminate the big window things onto about 1.5 mm card and vary the thickness on the others to add some variety

many thanks for the suggestion

bashing textures again!
  17. gofficfool

gofficfool Member

dum dum dum dumm de-dum dumm dee-dummmm

hi all....

after several days of no construction/printing or cutting i got the bays into the frame

and managed to sort artwork and stick together the bottom hull plates ( now tacked into place and awaiting some drying time

feels good to be moving forward and not just sideways again!

and i like the texture...... ish!

18. RedChico

RedChico New Member

ahhhh a proper SD to go with the Falcon (from that japanese site, IIRC).:twisted: :-D
  19. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Coming along great! How many sheets does it take to cover the bottom, looks like around 8 to me :grin:

20. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Doing a great job Mark!! My wife wants to move to a bigger home anyway...this may be the perfect time...hmmmm

"The bonus room has to have a 17 foot reinforced ceiling dear because ...well...ummm..."