Standing on the brink....

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Willja67, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Since I have never started a thread in this section I thought I would go ahead as I kind of want to show off my latest project.

I have 2 loves, Aviation and card modeling and as many of you know they usually go hand in hand with me. I'm about to start traveling a path where card modeling can't follow very easily. I've always wanted to design an build my own airplane and have decided I better get started while I'm young. Here is the very rough first concept:
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I must admit to having a somewhat irreverant sense of humor and I thought I'd try to emulate Gil and his attempt at levity so that's the reason for the title and wording of the first post( I hope Gil was joking or this will be really bad).

So in case I had any of you worried I'm not leaving.

Did I have any of you worried that I would leave?

Please say yes I just love the attention you all give me I just need reassurances and maybe a hug to please.

Pretty please.

Okay that's enough.
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I would give you a great big hug, but I'm scared that I'd crush your new plane ;)
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I must admit that you got me worried for a sec...
    As for the hugs, several of them already went your way :grin:
  5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

OOOOOOOOO, i'd give you XXXXXXX, but i would not want anyone to take it the wrong way, lol.
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I thank you for those. As a matter of fact one the most recent "hug" went to furthering this project. I used it to buy X-plane so I can try and fly my design in on the computer. So I really am going be spending less time doing cardmodeling and now I can blame it on you Mike!

BTW what do you all think of my design?
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Someone has a penchant for the bent wing birdies. :grin:
  8. rickstef

rickstef Guest

they are called, Inverted Gull Wings

but yeah, looks like a winner

9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Give it back, now!!!! :grin:

As for the design - I'm assuming that this baby will have one helluva engine and really big prop to use all this power....
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Fairwell to better shores...,

Hi Will,

I think you're making a great decision and wish you the best of luck.

You might want to take a look at X-Flow from Next Limit:

You may have already joined but just in case you haven't I urge you to join the EAA:

This looks like it would be light enough to be licensed in the Light Sport category. This category has spurred a lot of designers into action and it is a welcome relief to see the amount of new designs being developed.

P.S. You should always stand on the edge..., it develops a sense of what life is really all about...,
  11. 46rob

46rob Member

I 've always like the real thing as well. Diference is: I've no saerious urge to go flying. So, I volunteered out at the National Museum of Naval Aviation, in the restoration department. There I can hang around all kinds of wonderful old airplanes, and actually get hands on bringing them back to thier original glory. Right now the hangar contains a Zero, Catalina, Coronado (disassembled), Model 10A Electra, EA-1F and a JD-1 Invader. Outside the doors are a Marlin and Privateer--just a bit too big to fit inside--so are being worked on in the weather. I get my fix two days a week, bringing that Invader back to life.
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I really do like the inverted gull wing and since one of my lifes goals was to design and build my own airplane I knew it was going to have to have that, although there are several advantages to the design.

Hopefully this will be quite the hotrod when I'm done. If any you are interested go look up the AR-5. A guy named Mike Arnold designed and built an exceptionally clean little plane that did over 200 mph on 65 hp!!! I'm figuring on at least 10 years to design and 10 years to build this so there will probably be a lot of changes before the design is set in concrete but I'm hoping to get a 230 hp engine in it and only have a single seat. I'm hoping to get at least 350 mph in level flight but if I could make 400 that would be great. I am well aware that if you double the speed you square the amount of drag so I'm not getting my hopes to high but hey just maybe...

Gill thanks a bunch for that link. I am looking for all the help I can get for this project.

Maurice or Hpept I wouldn't be above begging for help from you or any of the other aerospace engineers who frequent this forum.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for the links. I have the book from the second link already as well as Aircraft Design a Conceptual aproach and Simplified Aircraft design for Homebuilders by Raymer as well as Theory of Wing Sections. I also have Fluid Dynamic drag by Hoerner and one other on use of composites in aircraft structures.

I am seriously considering buying Dr Raymers RDS Homebuilt software. I've looked for reviews on it and have requested a brochure but have yet to come across any pertinent objective evaluations of the software. Anyone here know if it's any good?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.