stablizing nylons

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by lizzienewell, Nov 5, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

After excellent suggestions I several attempts I've got this figured out-- Maybe.

I'm making retractable wings on a science-fiction WIG aircraft. It needs a skin that stretchs. The problem is attaching things that stretch to paper. Sewing works best but the fabric gets waded up on the sewing machine or curls while hand sewing.
    The solution is stabilizing paper that disolves in water. I found it at a fabric store and it can be put into a printer. So I printed out the pattern with 1/4 inch seam allowance and pinned the pattern to the fabric. The pictures follow.

I had only a few problems. I got the edge of the fabric edge curled under and sewen wrong in the first attempt. It was easier to redo it entirely than to rip the seam out.

The other problem is that the paper didn't entirely disolve under the stitching. After it dried I rewet it and did a bit of scrubbing.

Attached Files:

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Is this like rice paper, the stuff they use in cooking? Mmmm, macaroons.... I don't know if I trust my printer if I put some of that through it, but there may be some brave soul out there!

Tim P
  3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I don't know what it's made of but the package assures me in three languages that it is non-toxique and can be used con printers and photocopieurs and disolves in "10 segundos!"
    On the first run through my printer it jambed so I changed from the individual feed slot to the tray feed. It's floppy and so feeds better when it's flat.
    It is made in Japan. They seem to do lots of neat stuff with paper and accuracy there.

You're right it's probably is rice paper.

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Could you tack it to a thicker piece of paper with tape (maybe the lo-tack stuff called masking, or draughting tape) and pass the two through the printer at one go? I've done this with little bits of decal paper when I didn't have a whole sheet to use. Provided the leading edges of the tape are well stuck down (don't finger the adhesive side too much) it shouldn't lift and pick up inside the printer. Bit messy if it does, mind you.....

Tim P
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thanks for the tip. If I keep having trouble with jambing I'll try your tape solution.