ssoldering resisters

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by dkent22, May 12, 2006.

1. dkent22

dkent22 New Member

I have a digitrrax zephyr and was told to eliminate problems with the programming track I should solder a 1k resister across the track. Can I solder the resister acrossthe feeder bus wires or do literally solder it across the track? I am running ho locos. I have a digital soldering iron and use 600 degrees F to solder rail feeders. What temp. should I use to solder the resister?
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I don't have DCC so I'll defer the wisdom of putting a resistor across the tracks to load it. But to answer your question, I would put it across the feeder wires near the tracks, not at the tracks. A 600 degree soldering iron should be sufficent, if you are using that to solder your feeders then it will work for a resistor as well. I use a 700 degree tip because thats what I have a lot of and that's what I'm used to soldering with.
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

The resistor can be anywhere across the programming track feeds, but these are/should be separate from your regular track bus.

yours in wiring
  4. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I have soldered wires to the track. The same gauge as resistors. I concider myself to be an advance solderer. I use a 100w gun to solder wire to track. I let the gun heat up to full temperature. In and out very quikly. I don't even melt the plastic ties! Heat transfer is very quick!

5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

resistors for the most part are heat indeferent as long as you keep temp lower than a Phonix side walk in August, a 600 watt will do nicely.