Ss central america & whilhelm gustloff

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Bionic Modeler, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Anyone know where I can get these models? I am interested in both. The Whilhelm Gustloff is listed on several sites but out of stock. I was hoping maybe someone here has one they would like to sell.
  2. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

If you find the Wilhelm Gustloff in stock anywhere, please let me know. A maritime disaster bigger than the Titanic? Boggles the mind, doesn't it ?
  3. The losses were far greater than published. The History Channel did a computer simulation and was able to determine that the losses were probably around 10,000 +. Compared to the titanic it was the 9/11 of it's day.

Yet ask anyone "What was the greatest sea disaster in history?" and most will tell you the "Titanic".

I guess the fact that it ws a ship full of German's fleeing the invasion of the Russians tucked it away quietly in the books of history. I'm not German, I am human and that alone makes it a great tragedy. With far too little publicity. I think what made the Titanic so noteworthy was becasue it had so many Wealthy passengers aboard.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

wrong forum bub
  5. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

There are no models of the Central America. JSC will likely republish Wihelm Gustloff someday. BTW, there is historical opinion that the death toll for the WG is exaggerated. I have no thoughts either way. Also BTW, the greatest peacetime maritime disater was the Empress of Ireland.
  6. ohgodwhy

ohgodwhy Member

Pay no attention to StevO, Tim. It's not right that WG was forgotten, and I saw the documentary you're talking about. Unsolved History, right ? Great show. I hadn't heard of the WG 'til I saw it.
  7. So, Stevo---exactly what is your point???
  8. john wagenseil

john wagenseil New Member

Somewhat off topic, but SULTANA was probably greatest boat disaster ever. Note that she was a big freshwater boat, not a ship. It would make a nice model, but I doubt if a comercial publisher would ever do it since it is rather obscure subject.