srriping paint from locomotive shell

zachary

i would like to know what to strip the paint off of a athearn locomotive whats the best way any help is apreceated zachary

L

lester perry

Its been years since I have done it. There used to be a product called Chameleon that would do a decent job with soaking and a tooth brush. Some will say brake fluid, I have tried it but recommend the Chameleon. After using what ever you decide on it must be washed very well as these things attack the plastic in time.
Les

IandOFan71

I would recommend trying a product called EZ Lift Off. It's made specifically for plastics and works well. I have several shells that had multiple coats of paint and it took it off quite well without damaging the shell. It also is great for removing factory decals. Just a little bit of this stuff will take the lettering right off. I would stay away from brake fluid. Sure it works, but it's not good to breathe and it eats the plastic if you let it soak too long. Good luck to you in whatever method you choose.

Tyler

Russ Bellinis

Athearn shells are generally pretty tough when it comes to paint strippers. Most any of the methods recommended for removing paint from plastic will work on Athearn shells with out damaging the plastic. It is Kato & Atlas shells that are very "touchy" about what chemicals to use when stripping paint.

nkp174

If you're looking for a complete repaint...see the above. If you're looking to just re-letter...try a normal pencil eraser first...they used to erase the lettering on Athearn cars.

jbaakko

I thought I replied to this thread.

Try Pine-sol & 90% isopropyl alcohol. The pine soll will take most, use the 90% to clean up.