SR2 Normandy Design and Build - continued

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sjsquirrel, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Nosports

Nosports Member

Use a Foldline indicator outside the part.
    Means two little lines in the white along the foldline.....

Would be my best guess......

But don't know if its a workable methode in Pepakura
  2. thyrrus

thyrrus Member

Don't know if it's workable in pep but i saw it on the Kodiak Shuttle i've done : red lines for mountain fold, blue ones for valley fold, but it's a whole lot of work and maybe not doable for everyfold.
  3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

It's certainly doable in Pepakura and I have done this on other develpments. It's not foolproof though as sometimes the fold line doesn't go all the way through a part.

Are you referring to coloring the actual fold lines on the part, or the same idea as nosports above? I don't want to color the lines on the parts as I think they'll stand out too much and detract from the finished model.

I think in the end I'll probably go with a combination approach. I prefer the colored fold line indicators outside the parts, with more detail provided in the instructions or using other techniques where necessary.

I guess there's no point getting lazy now. Better to just do the work and make it awesome. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the input everyone.
  4. thyrrus

thyrrus Member

I was referring to the same idea as nosports ^^ coloured lines outside the parts.

Anyway just do your best, you're already (in my humble opinion :D) doing an awesome work ^^
  5. mbnaoj

mbnaoj New Member

i want one

i can't wait . Good work :thumb:
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You could always release the .PDO as as instruction/location file., and do a .pDF which you could make annotations the the line outside of the parts indicating where and how the folds should be. :)
  7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

At this point I don't plan on releasing the PDO file.

I've pretty much settled on a combination approach. I'll just do whatever I need to to explain or illustrate what has to be done. A member over at PM made a timely post recently with a lot of good ideas, several of which I'll try to incorporate into this release.

In the meantime, I've been so busy with life that I haven't even had time to work on paper model stuff at all. All I've managed is keeping up with forum activity while I eat breakfast.

8. thyrrus

thyrrus Member

I do think .pdo is a great asset to build when there is no lines on the pattern. I don't know how i'll be able to give a good looking to my Rikku if i hadn't the .pdo file ^^
    But you can always protect the .pdo file like others do no ?
    Whatever you do i'm sure we'll be plenty satisfied with it ^^ and we can always ask for advices on the building to its designer no ? ^^
  9. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Hey Steve, How is the progress on the test build coming with the wing & the engine. i hope it turns out well , with all that work you put into it.:thumb:

Keep up the excellent work mate.:)
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Egads! It's hard to believe it's been almost a month since I made my last post. I haven't even touched the Normandy in that time, and I'm close to not making the deadline for that Concorde people are going to pay me for. I keep thinking "things will slow down after this week", but so far they haven't. However, when they do, the Normandy is at the top of my list.

11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I think many people go through the same thing. I am. :)
  12. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Work has resumed.

Well, I'm happy to say that I completed that Concorde build on time (thread and pictures) and have already resumed work on the Normandy.

At present I'm finishing off the second test build of the main hull, and have started building version 2 of the lower hull. The unfold of the 'wings' and engines was done some time back, but there's lots of cleanup and markup to do - adding fold line marks, notes, stuff like that.

At this point I've no idea when it will be done, but I must say I'm excited to be back working on it.

Stay tuned for further updates.

13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I can sympathize with all you say. :)
  14. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Yay! Glad you're back on this one. This is a true masterpiece in the works and I'm definitely staying tuned. :)
  15. pferris

pferris New Member

Cant wait to see this finished - any updates?
  16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Well, I continue to lack focus these days and bounce around from project to project, and yada yada yada, you've heard it all before, but...

I started my second test build of the lower hull, found that the pages were printed with "fit to page" on so they didn't fit the hull (too small). I had to re-print them and rebuild, and found some fit problems, so I had to correct those in the 3D model. Now I need to re-print and re-build those.

Just last week I printed and spray-sealed the wing/engine parts and am ready to start building them. So, there has been progress, but not as fast as I'd like either.

In related news, over the last few months I've had lots of time where I could sit and work on my computer (I have a laptop, and a couple part-time jobs where I can bring it to work with me) and I've made great progress on the 3D mesh cleanup and unfolding of several other projects. By the time I get the Normandy done I'll have several others ready for test building.

I've also developed and completed a couple other neat items that I'll be posting on my web site very soon.

Thanks for giving me a nudge,

17. XenoMorpH

XenoMorpH New Member

Any updates yet?
  18. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Small update

So, I finally started building the wing section. In keeping with my usual practice of working in front of the TV and making huge blunders, I assembled the inner structure of wing spars, then wrapped the skin around it, found some fit problems, trimmed things up and got it all looking pretty good, only to discover (after it all dried nice and solid) that the spars where sticking out the wrong side of the wing base wall1

I have now reprinted the page and have to seal it, but next time I'll get it right, I promise. I know I can, I know I can.....

19. pferris

pferris New Member

Merry Xmas and I hope you have a great new year
  20. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Happy New Year to you too pferris. Mine is starting off great. Still as swamped as always with work and projects, but getting a handle on things.

Here's a brief update on what's transpired since my last update:

I assembled the second wing section then set it down next to the first one to take a picture, so I could illustrate what not to do, and lo and behold the second one was smaller than the first one. WTF? I had printed the dang thing with fit to page on. F&^@! So, I printed it again, properly this time, and built it again. It's right this time. There are still some fit issues I'll need to sort out in the 3D model and possibly by adjusting the unfold and the build sequence. We'll see. I'm working on the first engine now and should have pictures to post fairly soon.

Cheers everyone.