SR2 Normandy Design and Build - continued

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sjsquirrel, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

I plan on adding the main gun suggested above. I don't recall any other upgrades at the moment.

And yes, the department stuff is just a silly analogy for my scattered mind and lack of focus. Definitely some attention deficit happening.

No, I actually started it. It was my idea! MINE! Darn marketing department trying to take credit for everything again! sign1

Thanks Anthony. I posted those pictures in preparation for an update and request for input, but ran out of time and haven't finished that yet. Stay tuned....

2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Input requested

Hey gang, I could use some input from all of you. I'm kind of waffling on how to make the wing and engine assemblies nice and sturdy. The general assembly sequence is illustrated below.

Build the support structure

Add the inner wing skins

Slide the inner engine base onto the supports and glue it to the wing

Build the outer wing skin and slide it into place

And finally slide on the outer engine base.

The questions in my mind are how much inner support to add to the engines and outer wing sections, and what type of support to use.

Any thoughts?

3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Make the spares thick, either by laminating or using wood, even trimmed Popsicle sticks. Making the engines with box structures inside to firm them up will then add strength to the whole structure, maybe such that the engines have slots to slide the main spars through and the engines themselves glue to the wing structures making solid assemblies. Just my 2 cents worth. :)
  4. nstar95

nstar95 New Member

Maybe adding cross-supports onto the base support in-between the engines and wing skins. Might leave gaps tho.
  5. anthony344

anthony344 Member

I was thinking about lego forms, if you would discard the ribs forms or use some of the ribs in the inner section of the wing but make pocket seating in the wing & the engine like similar to a lego. Use box forms in the engine for strength.:mrgreen:
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I've designed it with the spars 2mm thick, just as you suggest.

You're pretty much thinking exactly what I was, so that's a good sign. The intent was that each component can be made separately, then slid onto the wing spars. The wing spars would ensure that the pieces lined up properly.

I actually have box structures designed inside the first engine section, but I keep thinking they don't add enough support.

I like this idea too, but am having trouble envisioning how to implement it so that I get a good balance between "easy to build" and effective.

A very interesting idea. I'll have to ponder this and see where it goes. Building the pockets and mating whatever-the-opposite-of-pockets-is (hands?) could be prone to errors, but it's a workable concept.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking now that what I may just do is go ahead and unfold it as-is and do a test build, then decide how much reinforcement etc is appropriate. I think a vision of the end result is starting to form.

Thanks again,

7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Small update

Hi all,

Just so you know I'm still here and working on this, here's a small update.

I got started unfolding the engines and wings and remembered that I'd kept a lot of very small details in the mesh. Some of these details are too small for the scale I'm working on now, but would really add to a larger version. So, I've branched off the small version and am now simplifying the model to either eliminate those tiny details, or implement a layering approach to build them up using layers. I'm just about done the inner engine, then I'll need to do the outer engine. Hopefully I'll have pics to post soon.

Believe it or not we're actually into the home stretch. If the model turns out half as good as I think it will it will be excellent.

That's all for now.

8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Nice update!! :)
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Steve! Great to hear, man! :thumb:
  10. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

I get so excited when I see an update to this thread. Patiently lurking!
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You did say "lurking", I read that wrong, and thought, "leave that Monkey alone"! :eek: :mrgreen:
  12. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Nah. I've not been allowed near any member of the simianus family since the 'incident'.
  13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Update and huh?

Honestly, I don't even wanna know what you guys are talking about! sign1

I finished simplifying the first (inner) engine last night. Before and after images are below. At a glance I'd say they don't look too different. With some edge coloring it should build up very nicely. You may need to find yourself some good Gray markers in a couple of shades of gray.

Here is the original mesh before simplifying.

and here it is afterwards.

Now I just have to do that all over again on the other engine. Having done one though, the second will go quicker since I've already thought out how to handle the details and the two engines are very similar.

Bye for now.
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That is fantastic! I really like the way you design things. Have you had experience in the aerospace industries> I only ask because the "innards" look really good. :)
  15. anthony344

anthony344 Member

WOW now that's outer this world work , he must be an aerospace engineering to think up like that.

Keep up the excellent work steve :thumb:.
  16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Thanks for the comments.

I've not had any experience in the aerospace industry. What's pictured in my last post is the original mesh, designed by someone else, then my simplified version of it for card modelling. The textures are not shown so you can see the mesh more clearly.

@Zathros - if your reference to the "innards" is referring to the wing spars in a previous post, it's just what I though would work well when I thought it all through, based on experience with previous models.

@All - while I'm doing the 3D work on models I'm always thinking about the building process, asking how will I build it, and how can I keep the detail without the parts being too tiny. There's some tricky parts in this ship, but all in all it should be a great build.

I believe the design of a kit should naturally lead to good results, so that even a beginner can build it and get good results, while more experienced builders can get great results. When I work through a design that's what I aim for.

17. blaar

blaar Member

How about the new Alliance color scheme for Narmandy :)
  18. voltron5

voltron5 Member

This is great stuff Steve. Following along intently.:thumb:

19. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

More info?

I didn't know there was a new color scheme. I've not yet played the game and hadn't seen any images or references to a new color scheme.

I'm good with the 3D design and manipulation, but my graphic arts skills are much less developed. I've learned a lot, but still have a ways to go. Given good references and some time though, I'm sure I could come up with a passable repaint.

20. Jackrum

Jackrum Member