SR2 Normandy Design and Build - continued

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sjsquirrel, Jul 19, 2011.

SEBRET Member

Love the Update. You really have put some work into this. Keep it up.
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Amazing! Really great looking model so far! You know that you need to do the bridge interior now too right!?! ;)
  3. MTK

MTK Active Member

Frakkin amazing SJS! Brilliant build!
  4. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Thanks guys, glad you like it.

I got the lower hull glued to the main hull last night and it looks good. A bit of a gap on the forward section that I'll have to track down the source of and correct. I think my 1mm card was more like 1.5mm, or else I just didn't make the skin quite long enough. Regardless, it looks great.

I made it with the bay doors open so you can see that there's an interior. On my other one I'll do it with the doors closed.

5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Steve, you make us wannabes look like amateurs. Great work! I really look forward to putting this beast on my model shelves along with SR1. :thumb:
  6. alienhunger

alienhunger New Member

I thought it was going to be a simple build... until I saw it has interior...
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The interior really does set it off! Very nice!
  8. F131

F131 Member

I am so ready to build this!!!
  9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Small update

Thanks for the comments guys. No pictures to share at this time. I'm working away at cleaning up the wings and engines, removing intersections, figuring out how the pieces will be built, what detail to keep, what to remove, etc. The more I work with the model, the more I appreciate all the detail that's in it and think I should design a large version too.

The engines have a fair number of parts, and time has been scarce. I'm also building a number of modular origami items for sale, and updating the Battlestar Galactica collection on my web-site with contributions from Revel-Fan.

10. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Steve great progress on your Normandy ,love the formers by the look of them they must be quite easy to build from the pics. From your post awhile back you going to make another Normandy with LED's, can you make your Normandy SR2 larger version to store the recharge battery , switch , charger plug , ect..
    Also put a super bright LED's on both engine glow, that would look like the real Normandy SR2 :mrgreen: but i can't wait till you design another version of it with light.
  11. rdajunior95

rdajunior95 New Member

Looks amazing. Can't wait to make this model.

Mass Effect 3 coming soon. Can't wait to defeat the reapers.
  12. F131

F131 Member

I'm in my 40s, and I feel like a kid, anxiously waiting for March to finish this gaming masterpiece. I want to buy this game for the Xbox, to experience on the big screen......but all my game history/saves are on the PC. Ashley, you will be mine again.
  13. rdajunior95

rdajunior95 New Member

Certainly one of the best games I have ever played.
  14. jake01

jake01 New Member

indeed one of the best games ive played and one still yet to come wonder if theres an
    reaper file sneaking about the web some where Hmmmm.. :p

would be epic haveing one of those on the display :mrgreen:
  15. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Hi Steve,

i have one question on protecting the model , what do you recommend on protecting the ink from getting wet or ect. I tried clear varnish in spray but it smudge the ink :cry:.
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

That may because your printer uses a dye based ink printers based ink printers don't do that.. Try spray painting in very super light mists, letting each layer completely dry, then build up.:)
  17. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Thanks Zathros :thumb:, i didn't know very much about Dye based ink & based ink until i done some research that you mention in your post. I might buy a different printer but do some searching on which brand of printer to get the right ink.
    I'll give that a try & spray very very lightly on it , finger cross.
  18. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Protecting your model

As soon as I print my pattern sheets I spray them with a fixative like this Krylon product, but lately I can't buy that in town so I've been using this Patricia Nimocks product I pick up at Wal-Mart. The results have been just as good. I like these because they don't interfere with gluing. Varnishes don't take glue well.

Once it's sealed, the ink shouldn't run. The finished model can then be sprayed with any kind of clear coat. I tried that once but it caused the thinner parts of the model to warp. Lately I've been thinking about trying again for some of the builds I'm planning, or working on, like this one.

If you try it let us know the results.

19. anthony344

anthony344 Member

Thanks Steve :thumb:, i might buy both of them & compare them two with my Compatible ink that i am using & see what the results come out.
  20. rdajunior95

rdajunior95 New Member

This kind of stuff is very hard to find in India :(

And when I found one, it was like wayyyyyyyyyy expensive.