SR2 Normandy Design and Build - continued

sjsquirrel

It's definitely not abandoned, but life has been very busy lately and I've had very little energy to devote to it. I have been thinking about how I can get this project done though, because I have other developments I want to move on to.

For the last couple months I've been absorbed in origami. I was asked to do an introductory origami workshop for the local arts council, so I had to figure out what to teach, what to make, practice, and of course I found all kinds of things I just had to try along the way. The workshop ran just this week (very successful), and they are already asking about a more advanced one. And I get paid too!

Along the way a woman that works at the airport wanted to buy a set of origami Christmas tree ornaments, so I made those too. It's nice when a hobby brings in a few bucks on the side. Not to mention that work has also been very busy for me.

Anyway, enough excuses. I plan on trying to wrap this up over the winter. At least that's my plan.

Regards, and I appreciate everyone's patience. This project has dragged on far longer than I'd like.

Steve

sjsquirrel

Unfortunately no. I've been distracted by other builds and projects. I still have the Normandy sitting there, asking me when I'm going to pay attention to it again, and looking at me accusingly, but I just haven't been in the mood.

These little nudges do help though, so if you're wondering, please ask.

Steve

sjsquirrel

I have gotten some more work done on the pattern layout and my test build. Life and work are still very busy for me (and the world is full of shiny things) so it's not often I get the right combination of time and energy to work on this. I'm at a stage where the layout work takes a lot of focus and concentration so it just doesn't happen after a long busy day.

I've decided that once I have the pattern layout finished I will get one or two test builders to build it, then release it with minimal instructions. I'll post lined and unlined patterns and a pattern with the textures removed so that the fold lines are clearly visible. I'll add some key images for reference and incorporate any feedback from test builders and then get it out there.

Steve

sjsquirrel

At long last the first full test build of this model is complete. Yes. Done! Finished! I have reworked many parts based on the building, and reworked a lot of the layout. I'm still working on the layout and adding fold lines etc. but I'd say it's somewhere around 60% finished. I'm taking a bit of a break to polish off another small project but am still working on this in between. Anyway, enough talk. Let's look at some pictures....

Attachments

• NormandySR2-01.JPG
    NormandySR2-01.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 89
  • NormandySR2-02.JPG
    NormandySR2-02.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 79
  • NormandySR2-03.JPG
    NormandySR2-03.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 86
  • NormandySR2-04.JPG
    NormandySR2-04.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 74
  • NormandySR2-05.JPG
    NormandySR2-05.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 73
  • NormandySR2-08.JPG
    NormandySR2-08.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 72
  • NormandySR2-12.JPG
    NormandySR2-12.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 74
  • NormandySR2-14.JPG
    NormandySR2-14.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 72
  • NormandySR2-15.JPG
    NormandySR2-15.JPG
    445.2 KB · Views: 74
  • NormandySR2-22.JPG
    NormandySR2-22.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 75

sjsquirrel

So there you have it. I have lots of pics from along the way but I don't have the energy to sort through them and organize them.

The model pattern is now sitting at 24 pages and about 480 parts. I found it to be a pretty satisfying build, but there's always room for improvement. I probably won't get to all those improvements, but to that end, what I could really use now are a couple test builders.

If you are interested this is what I'm asking you to do:
1. Promise not to share the pattern with anyone. Once a couple people test build it and we work out the remaining issues everyone will get the final release.
2. Do a build thread with as many pictures and comments as you can. These will help others later.
3. Provide clear feedback about what works well and what needs improvement, what fits well and what doesn't and so on.

I know I'll have more volunteers than I need, so I will be choosy and pick the ones I think will do the best job, so we get the best end product we can. I hope to work through a final test build myself as well, but I still have the the layout to finish, and instructions to sketch out.

At this point I have all the pages for the main hull finished and (I think) ready to go. I'm polishing off the last few pages for the wing and engine on one side, then will copy that for the other side.

So far I have very little in the way of instructions. I have designed the layout so that building proceeds page by page. For the most part you make the stuff on one page, then move on to the next page. Edge coloring is mandatory for a good finished result, so a good black marker, and some good grey ones are must-haves.

I'm really happy to have finally gotten this build done, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you can too.

Enjoy the pictures!

Steve

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This turned out SPECTACULAR!!!
I am certain that the M.E. fans will be coming out in droves to volunteer for this project!
GOOD LUCK with it!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is really GREAT news! I fully agree with RB. Good luck! This is a spectacular model! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
It's beautiful!! The pictures say it all. It is truly awesome!! Knowing al the work and how you labored to make sure the model was strong, it only makes sense the final product would be so excellent. A journey well enjoyed by those of us who were following. I learned much from how you built this. What more can anyone ask for. ;)

sjsquirrel

Funny you should ask. It's kind of been stalled for a long time since no one volunteered to do a test build, and life is a pain, but just last week someone contacted me about doing a test build. I have sent him the files and we are going to work together at getting the pattern tested and ready for release.

So, it's just recently come back to life. I can't make promises any more. I've made enough I haven't kept I decided to quit making them. :)

Steve

pferris

Woo hoo!!! this is awesome news - I would have offered but I have never built a model like her before