Spur-Pinion...combonation for more top speed?

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by bandit1, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

im looking to make my Evader get more top end speed without changing motors and esc's and all that other more expensive stuff. so wats a good spur to pinion combonation that i could put onto the stock 20 stinger motor? im looking for 27-30 mph top.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

what tooth pinion and spur are you running on it now and what speed does it top out at with those gears?knowing the answer to this question,i can give you a very good estimation.right now i would guess,since i dont know what the exact ratio of the transmissions in the Evaders are,i would say a 28 tooth pinion and 85 tooth spur.im sure it would be somewhere in that nieghborhood.those gears might even bring it over 30MPH.also try using a 7 cell pack instead of the 6 pack battery.when running 7 cells be sure you dont over gear it.it could result in ruined speed control.
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

a while ago, with all stock parts it topped out at 18mph. so 30mph sound REALLY good. the pinion is a 20 tooth, and the spur is an 88 tooth. those r on the stock 20T motor. but im really lost on wat gear to get on the new 13T thats coming soon for x-mas. so ya, i couls yuse some help with the gearing with the faster motor. i want a good top speed and that doesnt put a lot of strian on the motor. im not sure of the tranny final gear ratio tho.
  4. when i had my stock 20-turn motor, my stampede reached about 24-26mph. now that i have a 16-turn double w/ the gearing 18/84 it does about 30-33mph somewhere around there. so if you have a 13-turn motor i would just use a 7-cell pack and gear it the same it may reach 35+mph.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

for the 13t motor,when you first install it, go with a smaller pinion at first then gear it up to where you want it.never start at a high gear to experiment with the gear ratios.That can over heat and burn out your #@$% .a 20/88 sounds a little on the low side.using those gears for it would probably be fine.try it with the 6 pack first.then a 7 pack.i believe that stock ESC can hadle that.a good 13t motor and a 7 cell pack will propell that car at a good fast clip.you could gear it up to reach close to 40 MPH or more.but that would make it dangerously close to burning out the ESC.so i would say stick with the gears that are on it now.they seem to be low enough since it only goes up to 18MPH with them and all the stock stuff.you will get at least 50% more speed with the 13t than the 20t.so you are looking at a 30MPH truck for x-mas.wich ,i would imagine,would be alot of fun for a beginner such as yourself.
  6. bandit1

bandit1 Member

so leave the gears i have on it now...and to gear it up, wat does that mean? go up in number of teeth or down? thanks
  7. to gear up you would have to either get pinion gear w/ more teeth or a spur gear w/ less teeth. to be safe dont change both at the same time if you are experimenting.
  8. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok i get it now, thanks guys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.