Spruce Goose?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Mike Province, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mike Province

Mike Province New Member

Does anyone know of a paper model of the Spruce Goose?
    Mike Province
    The Rigby Paper Model Club
  2. jamtough

jamtough New Member

I haven't seen the "Spruce Goose". Is there the possibility that it is being mixed up with the " Empire Flying Boat" ? It does resemble the " Spruce Goose" and was designed by Rigby, for the Daily Express in 1938 !

3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Howard Hughes´ H-4 Hercules Boat Plane

Hi Mike,

There is currently no card model of the so called "Spruce Goose".
    I have been looking at plans myself to see if it would be feasible to design a simple prototype model. I haven´t got around to it yet, though.
    However, I refer you to last year´s discussions on the Fiddlersgreen Forums on this very topic - I think you might find many interesting links there:

It´s definately a worth while project.

All the best,
    Bengt :wave:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Howard Hughes´ H-4 'Hercules'

Hi n810,

That´s interesting - I didn´t know that there ever was a card model of the H-4 Hercules. I wonder what it might have looked like?

Here is the link again to the very fine set of plans of the 'Spruce Goose' - they are good design material:

Bengt :thumb:
  5. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I scratch built a wood model of the Hercules ( Howard hated the Goose moniker, and it was made of birch composite, not spruce ), a process called duramold. I had my references for it out on my desk when I saw this string. Its not an exceptionally complex shape, just big ! The hardest part was mating the wings to the hull. I've always wanted to bulid an operational version with the nosedoors open and a tank coming out. Paper would make a great medium for such a model. I may try and see if I can put my cardstock where my mouth is an build a hull as a start. Whats a good scale ? 1:48 has a 6.6 ft wingspan !
    Film at 11.