spraying glue

vdegrazia

Jan 3, 2006
I use a mixture of 50/50 Elmers glue and water to hold down grown cover, grass, etc.
My problem is with the spray bottles I have tried. None of the nozzles give a nice even spray. I clean them very thourghly after each use to no avail.
Any suggestions?

kirkendale

May 24, 2004
It sounds like your are trying to spray the glue. I have used a spray bottle to wet down the area. After it is well dampend I use an old glue bottle with the glue/water mix, capillery action draws the glue mix in. If you have a large area ( I'm in O scale :thumb: ) then a few pennys more for the bottle is wise.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Ahhh...The never ending search for the perfect spray bottle. I found mine in a Lysol bathtub & tile cleaner bottle. It gives a nice even spray that doesn't "Bunch up" ballast, ground cover, etc. I clean it VERY thoroughly after every use...

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
vdegrazia said:
I use a mixture of 50/50 Elmers glue and water to hold down grown cover, grass, etc.
My problem is with the spray bottles I have tried. None of the nozzles give a nice even spray. I clean them very thourghly after each use to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Maybe the problem is causet by the fact that you want to spray a 50/50 ratio mixture, it's too visquous..
I did some trials and the best result I had was using a smaller amount of glue, like 25 % glue / 75 % water ratio.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Biased Turkey (what's your bias??) is right. Even a very good "mister" will sputter if the mixture is too "thick". I use more like a 45/65 mixture and do it twice. More work...less frustration.