Spray Paint?

Sir_Prize

I heard that one of the "Model Railroad" paints came in spraycan form. Is this true? or is it WAS true?:confused: Help!!
:(
And where might I get some, ain't none 'round these parts!:mad::(

Thanks heaps (ahead a time)!!:D
Ken

billk

Ken - I usually go to the Walthers web site (http://www,wakthers.com) to answer questions like this, not necessarily to buy from them, but just to see what's available. Anyhoo, they list both Floquil Polly S and Scalecoat paints in aerosol cans, plus (non-railroad) Telstors PLA.
BillK

Sir_Prize

I forgot about them!
Hmm... Now... Is it Acrylic or Enamel... Back to the trail.;)

Plus, to find it just a wee bit cheaper, Walther's tends to be a bit pricey. Than again, if it ain't no whers else... Supply and Demand.
WOW! School did teach me sum'tin usable!;) :p :D

Gauged Rails;
Ken

Drew1125

Hi Ken,
The RR paints in aerosol form ARE expensive...& they come in such small cans!:mad:
What I've learned to do is buy cheap spray paint at Wal-Mart, or similar type stores. The only flat colors that are easy to find are black, white, gray primer, & red (more of a brown) primer.
Most of the time I use these as base coats, & then brush paint with Polly Scale acrylics.

Sir_Prize

I tried doing a base of White (testors) ,and after a week of drying, I tried putting on some Polly SP Daylight Orange. It came out a bit blotchy.:(
Thinking 'bout grabbing some of that Scalecoat I protective coat and their Daylight Orange. Not sure how much I'll need.:confused:
I want the TGV to be mostly white, with two wide "stripes" of B&O Blue and the Daylight Orange (which appears to be the same as the EARLY FEC Orange;I think). Anyways.... Theirs where I am.

Drew1125

Blue stripes can be applied as decals...Micro-Scale makes several sets in different widths, & colors.
Was the Testors paint you used gloss, or flat finish?
If you're going to custom paint your own locomotives, you may want to invest in an airbrush.

rockislandmike

Definitely. I've been using a brush to date, and the results have only been "okay". B4 I start an expensive project (i.e., buying a brand new undecorated locomotive, I've just been repainting a few old klunkers so far), I'm definitely going to get an airbrush.

Already put the idea in my wife's head for a b-day present.

Sir_Prize

I suppose soooo... :rolleyes:Was hoping not to have to dig through all that stuff in that Florida Basement.:eek: To find my old Badger double-action, and the water filter fitting for the compressor. It's soooo LOUD!!
Oh wellll! No pain, no gain;)

Woodie

aerosols

My local supplier stock a full range of aerosol spray colours for medelling by Tamiya (Japanese), but are comparativle expensive. I've found Floquil to be the best for brushing. You need quite a few coats (two or three) to get a good coverage, but it does not lump or streak. I then finish with a coat of Testors Dullcoat aerosol. Floquil is also good for re-use too. Never goes off once the bottle is opened. Forget Humbol (unless it is a brand new tin, then it's still a bit thick).
Some home hobby business's also make up little packs of "livery" colours, with little bottles of the appropriate colours prepacked. Again, forget reusing these once they are opened.

I've just finished bashing up a couple of freight cars into an old V/Line livery (tangerine and grey), and the Floquil Reefer Orange and grey were fine for use with a brush. Final finish (including decals finished with Humbrol Decalfix and a fianl spray for Testor's Dullcoat aerosol, is as good as airbrush.

Drew1125

Sir_Prize,
I must confess, that even though I do own an air brush, I rarely use it because of all the time it takes to assemble, disassemble, clean, reassemble, disassemble, clean... Whew!:rolleyes:
Also, the engines, rolling stock, & structures I usually paint are models of an urban branch line, & sharp, crisp paint schemes are not the order of the day. I actually think a brush does a better job representing a heavily weathered piece of equipment.
For the model you mentioned though, I don't think you'll want to go for the "rust bucket" look. That's why I think the air brush would be better for your purposes.
BTW...a single action airbrush is much easier to deal with, & is really all you'll ever need for model RR purposes.
And Mike has a VERY good point...If you're a novice at painting, ALWAYS get some practice on somre kind of scrap material...old diesel shells, etc...
Good Luck!