Spray-Foam Questions!

Lighthorseman

After looking at T. Alexander's OUTSTANDING!! rockwork in his thread "Styrofoam Rockwork", ( http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3279 ) I have a couple of questions about the expanding spray-foam mentioned briefly in that thread.

Firstly, Is there any advantage to using this over using styrofoam? I'm thinking about the advantages of filling "nooks and crannies"... would it be possible to simply fill those with painted bits of styrofoam?

Secondly, Would the expanding foam adhere to a styrofoam base? Will it "eat" certain types of styrofoam?

And lastly, Is it easier,more difficult, or about the same to carve as styrofoam?

I'd like really appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!:)

NYCentral

Steve, I have used both, personally I like spray foam for rolling hills, gaps, etc.. It is different to work with, as Marty said, use a knife. Hot tools and rasps do not work well with spray foam, the hot tool will go very slow and wire will get coated, and a rasp tends to break the spray foam off in pieces.

There are also many different kinds of spray foam, I personally like the red can Great Stuff brand. Another thing, don't try to work it while it is still wet, it makes a big mess. Also wear gloves or be prepared to spend hours getting it off your hands.

All in all I will continue to use both.