Spray Adhesives

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by dansls1, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Ok - so after using white glue for everything in my card models so far, I decided to try a spray adhesive for doubling some parts last weekend. I got Elmer's 'Craft Bond' adhesive, sprayed some parts, let them sit overnight - and had horrible results. The paper discolored (which didn't matter to the parts I tested because they were all black and putting a sharpee over the edges corrected any discoloration). The real issue though is while I was cutting, the pieces came apart (delaminated). I then had to reglue a half-cut part with white glue and leave it sit to dry again.
    Is this an issue with the specific adhesive I bought (the wrong one?). Did I 'overspray' the amount of adhesive? Is it specific to the paper used for Wilhelmshaven models, or paper that's printed a while ago (model purchased in 1999)? Everybody says spray adhesives are the way to go for laminating paper, but I had a horrible experience with my first attempt, so I'm wondering what I did wrong.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. GyverX

GyverX Member

Wow! Lots of variables are to be considered. Size of area would be the first. You also need to check your adhesives to see if they contain any acids. Acids kill color.
    Honestly I have never built a bought card model, so I'm not sure what they recommend. With any card or paper, the more you put down the more its going to warp and what not.

Not sure how this link is going to come through, but check this site out

I have been using Aleene's tacky glue for many many years. Of all things, My mom turned me on to it.
    Hope this helps
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

My first can of spray adhesive was made by 3M (Don't remember the exact name) and it was awesome! But pricey. The stuff I have now is by Krylon. Not so awesome. But cheap.

Can't comment on the discoloration part, as niether one did that to me. I tend to spray the adhesive on the substrate and stick the part to it, maybe that helps? But as to the adhesion issue, look very closely for the word "repositionable". The krylon has that, and I've definitely had some issues with parts peeling.
  4. David H

David H Member

Sad to hear you have had a bad experience.

I would recommend the 3M products too. I don't have a can to hand but the last time I looked at the instructions it said that coating one surface gave a repositionable bond and coating both surfaces gave a permanent fix. 3M's intention or not time has a similar effect.

However, I.M.O. even single surface application is plenty sticky enough for interior formers.

I some times let formers cure under a couple of big thick books, but have also used them straight away.

5. shrike

shrike Guest

Bite the bullet and buy a can of 3M 77 spray adhesive. The little can at around $4 will last for years of modeling.
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

the big 16oz can at Walmart is 8.99, i bought two of them, best spray adhesive i have ever used
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use some stuff called Duro All-Purpose Spray Adhesive. Numbers on the can are 81088 MS-H. 11oz/311g. It is inexpensive, does not change the color of the printing, and holds very good. There has been no delamination of any parts in all kinds of humidity conditions, from very dry to having a tropical storm blow through.:)

I have used it to laminate cardstock to cardstock, regular printer paper to cardstock, and regular printer paper to regular printer paper. I always put the laminations under a stack of books, so cannot comment on whether the pieces would curl when drying without using some weight to keep them flat. They do not curl once they are taken from under the books.:)
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

9. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

The 3M 77 spray adhesive is great stuff! I've used it for the last 12 or 15 years for all kinds of things where one sheet of paper needs to be bonded to another --- model work, mounting maps and prints, etc. I've seen some friends with an art and framing shop mount 4' x 6' posters with it!

Last week I used it for "quadrupling" up spars and struts on the FG Sikorsky S-39. Better, easier, and faster than smearing on a thin coat of white glue. And you don't have to find a book to weight the sheets down -- it grabs instantly, so be careful in placement. Use it only on the "backing" sheet, not on the back of the printed page. No color problems that way. And don't try to reposition things after about 10 minutes.

10. SteveM

SteveM Member

Yet another endorsement for 3M "77" here. The stuff was designed for mounting photographs so has to satisfy very critical (fussy) customers.

Get yourself a good hard rubber roller and use plenty of pressure to really bond the two layers together. Being a contact adhesive there is no drying time required after the bond is made.
  11. Even on this side of the ocean. 3M 77, apply one side , you still can move it around, two sides. it's stuck, no colour changes, used it fo ryears..
    Cheers, Billy
  12. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

3M also makes a photo adhesive as a spray for mounting. their stuff is more expensive but every time i've tried to save a little, it ended up costing me.... if you are going to laminate, use a roller to flatten from the center and weight it down flat as it dries to avoid curling anywhere.
  13. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I used elmer's sray adhesive once and also had horrible results. I now have a can of 3M. It works much better
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Some Pointers...,

There are a few extra items that will help in using the 3M spray cement. First is to warm the contents by running hot water over the can or immersing it in a pan of hot water. Warming the contents lowers its viscosity and results in a very fine even spray mist. Second, always clean the nozzle by inverting the can and spraying till the stream clears. Soaking the nozzle in acetone will aid in removing any stray glue stuck to it. Use a larger piece of cardboard to back the piece being sprayed in order to catch the overspary. Small pieces can be sprayed by placing them inside a larger cardboard box. Use a pair of tweezers to pick up the sprayed piece from the backing board. A second set of tweezers will help in positioning the sprayed piece on the intended bonding piece.

15. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

My first choice is the 3M 77 spray glue, it is the best available. As a second choice I have used DURO All-Purpose Spray Adhesive. I am using DURO on my current build and it is a close second to the 3M product and it is about half the cost.

I do like Gil’s suggestion to warm the 3m glue I do fined it to be rather thick and like the Idea of a thinner coating.

Jim Nunn
  16. Frank Zwolinski

Frank Zwolinski New Member

Hello Folks,

I am new and wonder if any of you have used StudioTac Dry Mount Adhesive to laminate paper to card?