Spotted Today

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by MCL_RDG, Nov 7, 2005.

1. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

I thought I would start a thread that everyone could share in. A brief description of some perhaps "out of the usual" sightings of railroad activity you happened upon. I was inspired by the New Haven thread since I work right on the New Haven Line and live near (one block away) the Harlem Line in New York.

Here's todays edition, feel free to post away.

New Haven Line
    Mill Street and Rte. 1 (at work, 2nd Floor-Track Level with Rte. 1 overpass)
    Port Chester, NY

Prior to noon.
    (1) P42 Metro-North, (1) P42 Retro New Haven scheme Double Header pushing commuter southbound.

Just after noon.
    Sperry Railcar #125 southbound. Previously observed prior to tie replacement across Rte. 1 bridge.

Just around 2PM.
    Southbound Metro-North GP-40(?) and FP-7 running light (backwards).

Did someone say, "Where's the pics"? I gotta bring my camera to work, but I only get a few seconds between hearing and seeing trains as they charge across the bridge between buildings. But my sense of hearing has been attuned to knowing somethging a little different is about to grace the view out of the office window.
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

Okies, my turn! :D

Norfolk Southern's Lima District

Chased Lima District local L74 from Fostoria, Ohio to Lima. Powered by two high-nose NS SD40-2s running long hood forward and hauling a mix of empty propane tankers, empty boxcars, and loaded carbon black hoppers. Shots taken in Arcadia, Findlay, Rawson, Bluffton, Beaverdamn, and Lima.

Forthcoming, once I get server space to host them.
  3. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Here is mine from last night, 11/6/2005.

We were coming out of Giant Market on Baltimore Avenue in Lansdowne where the SEPTA R3 Media-Elwyn Line runs along the parking lot I hear what sounds like a diesel coming. This is unusual because the only electric MUs run on the line. Sure enough it is a diesel, SEPTA’s BL-15(?) pulling a Corn Syrup tank car and a piece of MOW equipment that is spraying something. Since it is fall I will assume it was spraying the rails to help with traction during leaf season. Camera was at home. I don’t think it would have matter since it was about 8:30 PM and dark.
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

More New Haven Line

New Haven Line/Northeast Corridor
    Port Chester, NY

FL-9 in New Haven Paint scheme leads (2) tank cars and (1) transfer hack (w/crate on platform) northbound with Metro-North GP-40 on rear of train.

When's the last time you saw an FL-9? Not bad for a commuter railroad.

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Mark: I'm sure I saw one many years ago in Toronto on the Amtrack train from New York. Wasn't the usual F40PH and I eventually matched the number with an FL9. (Don't remember which one anymore.)
  6. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Oh Geez guys, I can't even begin to tell you what I seen yesterday. So much traffic moves through here you kind of lose count and forget what trains you seen. Just got to remember to find my camera now. LOL.:D
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

After 30+ years (how many years wasit since bankrupcy?) a Milw. Box car still survives, now THAT's amazing!
  8. railohio

railohio Active Member

The Milwaukee was merged into Soo Line in 1986. Their last bankruptcy was in 1977.
  9. REflectiveMAN

REflectiveMAN New Member

I had a former P&LE 70 ton hopper in my train whos AEI tag was still showing it as a P&LE car :p (Its now a wheeling car)
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

While out and about yesterday I saw a W&LE engine on the CF&E..Not bad but,it was a ex Southern GP35 with Alco trucks instead of one of the newer Rio Grande schemes..
  11. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I Saw one of the last RioGrande Tunnel motors sunday!!!! one of three(?) It was amazing! I'd never thought I'd get to see one in my lifetime! This makes me so happy!
  12. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

We had an old Rock Island box car here in Dartmouth late last year, I have a pic I'll try and dig up. The rock in Atlantic Canada.. What a blast!

13. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

There is/was a Rock Island boxcar along with a couple of WP covered hoppers on the Tracy/Mococo sub near, Byron California many months ago.

Not sure if they are still there or not. That line is used mainly for long term storage.