Spoked Driving Wheels

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by BrownMouse, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. BrownMouse

    BrownMouse New Member

    I have recently come to the conclusion that if I want a decent HO 4-4-0 I will have to build it myself. Accordingly, I am busy gathering the information (plans, suppliers, etc.) necessary.

    One thing I have not found so far is driving wheels. Do any of you know a source for 1860-80 era spoked driving wheels, other than cannibalizing another model?
  2. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    I think the most likely source would be English Model Railroad Supply at www.bowser-trains.com. They sell the drivers used in their Bowser locomotive kits. I don't think they make a 4-4-0, but would the drivers from the Pennsy E-6 work?
  3. jim currie

    jim currie Active Member

    don't know if model power is selling parts of the old mantua line but they has some nice older looking spoked drivers.
  4. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    Bowser is probably your best bet, their catalogue shows lots if possibilities. If you're near a well-stocked hobby shop, preferably an older one, you might find some Model Die Casting / Roundhouse drivers. You used to be able to buy anything they made direct from MDC, but Horizon doesn't seem to be doing this at this time. I did hear somewhere that this may change, but who knows when; it took them almost 3 months to answer a letter, SSAE and all.
    There's also a company called Greenway Products ( www.greenwayproducts.com ) (sorry, I'm not familiar with doing the link business; computer newbie). The latest ad that I can find for them is in the December 2004 RMC. They look good in the photo, lots of different sizes, but pretty pricey at $18.00 per driver set. Hope this is of some assistance.
  5. BrownMouse

    BrownMouse New Member

    Well, thanks. Unfortunately, drivers from Mantua are not available, and I don't think that either Bowser or Greenway will do either, although Greenway's 56" with a "straight counterweight" might do, depending on what a straight counterweight is. (why don't they give a picture, I wonder...) The problem is the counterweights. The crescent shaped counterweights only came in around 1890 on more modern styled locomotives. Previously, counterweights looked more like a quarter-donut or curved rectangle. A crescent-style counterweight on a 1860's loco would look really bad, I think.
    I am looking at these http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.htmlhttp://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html They're from Britain, but the guage is the same, they closely correspond with 54" (16mm) and 62" (18mm) HO drivers, and I can add my own counterweights. The only thing I don't really like is that they don't have that teardrop shape connecting the axle and the rod holes.
  6. hminky

    hminky Member

    Try this Alan Gibson in England. I have bought his S scale drivers and they are nice.


    Most American drivers will be too thick at the axle.

    Just a thought
  7. sumpter250

    sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

  8. BrownMouse

    BrownMouse New Member

    Well, thank you all. I think I will go with Alan Gibson's wheels.

Share This Page