Spilled Grain

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
As I am now entering the detailing phase on the Grain Elevator Diorama I have to come to the spot where I need some help. One of the details I would like to model is spilled grain along the tracks and in the area where the grain would be filled into the cars. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use in HO?

I was thinking colored sand that kids use in craft projects. Or maybe sand and then color it myself. How would I color it?

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I like the idea, but it raises a question.

How do you deal with the granulated garlic when you apply a water/glue mix so the garlic adheres to the layout? Seems to me that the garlic would disolve.

Other than that, the size and color should work.

JD

jim currie said:
go to a sams club if you can and get a big container of granulated garlic right size and color .

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Tom,

I would avoid anything that is organic, unless it is really, really well dried/preserved. Garlic (if I recall correctly) can go rancid, even in dried/granulated/powdered form due to the oil content.

Coloured sand seems a good option, or maybe some of the WS fine buff-coloured ballast?

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I agree with Andrew and JD. One other reason I wouldn't use garlic powder that if it gets wet it will make your layout room smell like an Italian restaurant...for a looong time...

What color are you looking for? Seems to me that there should be a shade and size of sand that would work.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
What I have seen around grain elevators out in Saskatchewan is not the actual grain spill but the fact that the grain starts to sprout so there is some light green colour around and between the tracks. Any grain I have seen is a golden beige colour.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
One thing I remember growing up in a rural agricultural area and being involved in many harvests is that if you see a lot of grain spilled around an elevator it will not be in business for long. Grain is too expensive a product to waste any of it. Granted there will be some spillage but not as much as you might expect. What you will see a lot of around elevators is the chaff that is raised like a cloud of dust when grain is moved and then, depending on the prevailing winds, will settle around the area.
I would suggest something more like a collored powder dusted around. Ralph's cornmeal if sifted through a fine mesh, like a nylon stocking, might do the trick. There again though, you are dealing with an organic substance which probably will react with the glue/water mixture. Chalk dust might be a better choice.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone for the great and varied suggestions!

I was at Mitchells Hobbies in Wilmington, DE tonight and came across Woodland Scenics Fine Turf - Yellow. This looks like it might work.

Now all I need are some stunted HO scale corn stalks to model the grain that sprouts.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TomPM said:
Thanks everyone for the great and varied suggestions!

I was at Mitchells Hobbies in Wilmington, DE tonight and came across Woodland Scenics Fine Turf - Yellow. This looks like it might work.

Now all I need are some stunted HO scale corn stalks to model the grain that sprouts.
Tom,

A much safer choice. Something that you don't have to worry about when you glue it in place.

Post a picture when you get it done.:thumb:

KATY

Jul 30, 2005
Liberty, MO
Been lurking around here for several months now, gathering great info from all the fine members, but I have to finally chime in on this one. I've worked in grain elevators for 35 years and know something about this stuff.

Yes there is always grain on tracks around an elevator, particularly on an approach track to a loadout shed or spout. Cars are supposed to be cleaned out prior to loading and always contain some residue which gets deposited on the track. But in a very short while, this stuff turns putrid black due to rain and heat. It eats away the ties and is a general mess. Weeds are more likely to grow and be green more so than any grain ever will.

Plan to do something similar with the elevator I've got going on my N scale layout, but haven't decided how to do it yet.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to posting at the Gauge Katy, Thanks for providing the spilled grain info. I don't think I would like to be prototypical and have a black mess near my grain elevators. Where abouts in the country did you work in grain elevators?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome to the Gauge. Glad you decided to lend your exepertese to this subject. Hope to see you participate more in the future.

Yuck, that doesn't seem to me to be something one would want to model exactly though.

KATY

Jul 30, 2005
Liberty, MO
Robin, I work for Cargill in Kansas City. Still plugging away at it and enjoy working around the major rail yards here. Get to see some interesting stuff sometimes. In the last year the UP switch crew gets to run the biggest model of them all with their remote control switch engines. Still can't get used to the site of two switchers going by, bell sounding and horn blasting with no one in site!