spidy webs

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Relic, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Relic

Relic Member

am lookin, for a tip this time, how to deal with spidy webs,is there any sure eay of preventing them (hidden moth balls??) and the gentelist way of gettin,rid of them. Had a whole forest matted with the buggers OVERNIGHT!! Took some real carefull work with a feather duster to clean it up (not fun)
  2. kadidle

kadidle Member

If you don't have pets/kids, spray some diazon on the floor and walls around the track. While your at it spray the perimeter of your house (on the outside) and put screens over floor drains. I do the perimeter every 3 months (weather permitting) and that has prevented the monster field spiders we have from coming in. These suckers can get to be the size of your fist, and on an N scale track, they truly are monsters! :)
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Don't know where you are or what kind of climate you have, but I'm assuming your layout is either in the garage, basement or attic. Our big problem here in the southwest range from black widow spiders (tarantulas rarely go near housing areas), to some so small you can't be sure what they are until they move. We moved into a new house about 18 months ago and had it sprayed inside and out before we moved in. We've had it sprayed outside a couple of times since then and haven't seen any bugs or spiders inside (including the garage), and a few that don't move too well anymore outside, since we moved in. Take away the bugs, and the spiders don't have anything to eat. It costs us about $20 each time we have it sprayed by a professional, about what it would cost us for a gallon of bug spray if we bought it at Home Depot.

Good luck,
  4. Relic

Relic Member

I,m here in north NS. I haven,t actually seen any spiders, the webs are just there inthe morning. Oh yeah,the layout is upstairs in the garage.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

You might want to spend a few bucks and have a professional come in and take care of your whole house, then either you or them do the maintainence. Two things, you need to get rid of what's in the house (spiders love garages), and second, you need a barrier of chemicals around the perimeter to keep all bugs outside. Bugs don't like the cold and come inside, spiders like bugs, so they follow. We have to be especially dilligent here in the desert or there's no telling what you'll find inside the house.:eek: :eek:
  6. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

I was working on my Christmas layout when I was met by a guest. I never have seen a spider so small.

Just to give you an idea of size. That is HO scale track.

I had another visitor come to check out the track. I never seen a ladybug in Saskatchewan in December.

There were some other bugs hanging around too! :eek: :rolleyes:

Keep yer layout safe!

TrainClown ;)
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Neat Shots!! :) Does Mr. cat wait for the train to come close before he gets his "tail" off the track, like mine does???? Someday I'll "get" mine LOL Those G engines are just as big as he is :D :D :D
  8. zedob

zedob Member

I wonder if it would be possible to kit-bash that spider into an HO scale lobster?
  9. Relic

Relic Member

would they be worth ten scale dollars a pound?
  10. kadidle

kadidle Member

I'd say king crab, since they are distant relatives of our 8 legged friends... :D