Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by jparenti, Mar 25, 2007.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

Does anyone know how I may be able to form a sphere from cardstock without using truncated cones? A paper-mache technique is what I'm looking for... I just don't know if it'll work.
    I'm needing a thick-walled sphere, slightly larger than a golf ball, for use in a scratchbuild I'm working on. It needs to be hollow as well. It's part of a concept Venus lander, and it's going to be the pressure hull eventually. I'll probably paint it as well, so the outside doesn't need to be totally blank white. I'll give it a few coats of primer and sand it smooth before painting.
    Any tips?
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Paper mache on a balloon, if you can find the right one.
    Blow the baloon up to the right size and tie a knot in the end of it.
    When dry, just stick a needle through it to pop the balloon, while holding the knot.
    Then pull the ballon out through the hole created by the knotted end.

Only way I know to make a round, hollow, paper ball.

3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Or you could try HERE...one of our members designed one...
  4. keith

keith Member

Yep, metasequoia lets you create a sphere 'as rectangle', meaning it has 6 'sides' and unfolds like a cube.

BUT wouldn't it be easier to paper-mache a golf ball?

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've done some small spheres as two flower petal shapes. Think of it as a beach ball. Six flattened sections of a beach ball meet at the center, like a flower. One of these goes on the inside and the other on the outside with the seams offset.

I've also bought pre-made paper mache spheres (They're sold as christmas ornaments) and then modified and painted them.

I want to try some slightly larger spheres and will try fitting a skin over a spherical frame. I'm going to try the flower petal method, baseball skin shapes, geodesic shape, and also the flower petal shapes meeting at the sides instead of at a center.

Come to think of it I've tried that method. I'll see if I can find a photo.

I was trying to figure out a map of the land on an imaginary planet. If I drew it flat it would end up distorted so I decided to try to produce the map by random means. I bought a papermache Christmass ornament and made land masses by pasting on wet wrinkled paper. After it dried I painted the flater parts blue and the wrinkles green, brown, and white.
    Then I had to draw the wrinkles on a flat map. I made four sections of paper that fit around the globe and then traced the wrinkles onto the flat map. I scaned the flat map into the computer.
    I could then print the scanned map on paper and pasted in around another sphere of the same size.

I could also use a similar shape to produce my own sphere. I'd build a spherical framework and then put on several layers of paper, probably with a flower petal pattern. The printed map would go on last.

Somehow, I haven't had time to try it. Anyway looking at maps of the Earth is a good way to think about how to flatten a sphere with the least amount of distortion. Also looking at balls--soccor balls, base balls, basketballs--is a good way to think about building a sphere from a flat but somewhat stretchy material, such as paper or leather.

Attached Files:

6. john wagenseil

john wagenseil New Member

If cost is no object you can make perfect hemispheres with a jewelers dapping set. This is a block with indented hemisperes and a set of hemispheric punches.
    Take wet paper and use a punch to push it into the appropriate size indent on the dapping block. Let paper dry , you can speed process with hair dryer. Remove paper from block and cut off rim to get perfect hemisphere.

Dapping block sets on Ebay start around 30 dollars, and go up and up. Harbour Frieght Tools, a chain hardware store and internet store in the US has a set for about 40 Dollars.

A measuring spoon set can be used to mold low domes.