Sphere-making technique question

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, whenever I make spheres on my models, I always use the concentric circle approach. I've found this to be far easier to work than the petal method for making them, but I find a lot of models use that method over the other one. Is there some hidden advantage to making spheres using the petal-technique, or is it a design preference? :confused:
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i myself prefer the contric way. i find it easier to work with.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Admittedly petals are like hell to work with, but for the petal method, the advantage is that the finished product has a perfectly curved profile in the axial direction, which is preferable on aircraft nose cones etc where we most likely is looking from the side. (It's just a matter of in which direction you break up the surface) - Build and compare Nobi's free Spit to Zarkov's (was it?) free Spit, you'll see the difference in nose cone. ;)

Kooklik has tried a potential solution to the difficulty of making a petal part by using what he calls Inverse Petals - Tried it and it was much more easier to make. I was so inspired that I used this configuration on my Comet :D
    See those "hatches" on the upper left image? Those are made by inverse petals

Attached Files:

4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

That makes sense. It's a heck of a lot more fiddly than making rings, but you're right in that it produces a more natural curve.
  5. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I remember seeing a tip on this forum somewhere where one of our members suggested using one of those draftsmens circle template things to shape the spheres by forcing them into the circles from larger to smaller, bit by bit....

This was for "standard" petal type spheres. I hope I'm making sense, cos I can't find the thread and it seemed like a very good idea.

Personally, I have yet to try the petal method, let alone any type of sphere but I'm currently building the afterburner section of Claudio's Tumbler which includes a concentric half sphere which I have covered with modelling putty to get a smooth shape once the concentric circles were glued.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

jafro i use that technique all the time. it is a great tip that can save some serious aggrevation.:)