speeder as suggested

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
I asked for suggestions on what building to construct to fill a small area on my new NTrak module. Cinnibar and 60103 both suggested a speeder shed. Great, I liked the idea, now all I need is a speeder. Being the frugal type with time on my hands, sitting out the snow storm here in Connecticut, I decided to build one. Couldn't figure out what to use for wheels, rummaging through my "save maybe use some day" old trucks and wheels

Attachments

• mvc-007s.jpg
    mvc-007s.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 168

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
finished the little bugger up earlier this evening. The building I planned on using had an attached tool shed and I thought I could cut the door out for the speeder shed, no such luck, have to raise the shed its too low.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 170

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Being basically clueless about real rail operations, could someone tell me what a speeder is?? :eek:ops: I assume it is some kind of maintenence vehicle??

Bill, is your speeder powered or just a static display? Your pics went pretty quickly from wheels to the finish, did you scratch that together from styrene sheets and odds and ends?

Nice little scooter...I mean speeder!! :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Ima they were used for track inspections and to haul workers around mainly. Bill that looks pretty cool! One suggestion, we have speeder meets here twice a year and on all the ones I've seen the body is alot wider, coming to the outside of the wheels. Still that is a neat little rig, did you remember to put in the beer cooler and CD player? :D

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Hey Bill. That's one great small model ! I love it.

For aartwmich, yes, a speeder is a maintenance vehicle. There were several manufacturers of the real thing, but the best known seems to have been Fairmont. Think of a speeder as the railroad's answer to the pickup truck or jeep. It carried crews out on many jobs like track inspection, transported section crews and other maintenance personnel down the rails, performed fire patrol duties, etc. You can find more model examples by searching the Walthers catalog or website.
--Stu--

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks for all the kind comments. Even though it is for static display, it rolls real well on the track, sure going to be hard gluing the thing down permanently on the module.

Arl, the headlamp is a rhinestone I dug out of the wifes bead and jewelry box. Tried some tinfoil but it did not have the luster and look of a headlamp. The body is styrene, .02" sides and .03" ends top and bottom. Used some misc. styrene stock (rounds and channel) here and there. The grab and lift bars and top luggage bars are from some wire I picked up at a craft store. Could not find a complete picture of any one particular speeder, front, back and sides so just went with what looked right from the pictures I scoffed off the internet. It was a fun Saturday project as I waited out the storm.