Spectrum Consolidation Problems

MilesWestern

I have this fairly new Spectrum Consolidation, and whenever it moves, the belt slips nearly uncontrollably, espically upgrade (with or without cars)...hot could I fix this problem? :cry: :confused:

Should I send it back to bachmann?

What can I do to solve this problem??

doctorwayne

Miles, the belt is cogged, so it shouldn't be slipping. If you're comfortable disassembling locos, give it a try. It sounds to me like one of the bearings on the worm shaft is not properly seated in its slot in the diecast chassis. If you have the diagram that comes with the loco, look at part H 11402, Diecast Chassis Set. Floating on dashed lines are two "T"-shaped gizmos, and three that look like washers: these are plastic spacers, to keep the two halves of the diecast weights separate. On either side of the rearmost washer gizmo, protruding from the right chassis casting, are two projections with grooves in their ends. The other chassis-half has a similar pair of projections, unseen. These are the seats for the worm shaft bearings. The wormshaft is the thing dangling under the motor: you can see the cogged belt originating between the motor and the flywheel, and wrapped around the toothed wheel. The thing on the shaft with all the lines (it's actually a thread, like on a screw) is the worm. To the front of that, and to the rear of the toothed wheel, are two thick, washer-like pieces of brass. These are the bearings. Chances are that one or both of the bearings have slipped closer to the worm/toothed wheel during assembly, and are not seated in their respective slots. There is also a chance that one or both of the bearings have slipped off the end of the worm shaft during assembly, and are long gone.
If you have doubts about your ability to do this type of work, send it back to Bachmann. They will fix or replace it, for only the cost of the shipping. By all means, give them a call before you send it off. Their number, for service, is 800-356-3910, and if you want a supervisor, press 5.
Hope this will help you get it running.

Wayne