Spectrum A.TS.F russian decapod

Gil Finn

Well you learn some new all the time.

Pretty far out, thanks for taking the time for the explanation

a040_1.JPG

Need a tender?

cajon

LAJ #1 at Engine House
Have pix of ATSF Decapods 989 & 988 but can't get them to upload. Email me & I'll send them that way. They are from "Iron Horses of the Santa Fe Trail"

Russ Bellinis

Andy, I see by your post count that you are new here. Welcome aboard, I don't know if I have "run into you" at Hobby Warehouse, but I live near by in Lakewood. I also can see by your avatar that you have excellent taste in railroads.

Mountain Man

MilesWestern said:
No, the Gauge was (and still is) 5feet 0 inches. It was a simple rebuild , they only had to widen the driver tires, and replace the tender trucks.

I stand corrected - I have no idea where I got that idea from. I went a dug up my copy of Steel Rails To Victory to remind myself of the correct gauge. :eek:ops:

Great photos in it for modellers, BTW: a German "handcar" powered by two bicycles - one attached to each side, a crudely armored Kubelwagen converted to a rail recon car for a Pioneer Battalion, and a photo of Soviet POW's being used as human switch engines, justo n one page alone. Some terrific photos of the decapods too, which is really what I was looking for besides shocking my brain back into action. A very interesting one of a dec' pushing an entire consist of flatcars loaded with tanks towards the front lines. The accompanying explanation says this was to cut down on losses of locos to mines, and a special gondola with a T-34 with crew semi-permanently attaxched to the front of the loco provided a measure of defense just in case.

If I were a European modeller, the Eastern Front would be a great subject.

I have seen stnadard gauge locos converted to narrow gauge here in Colorado, and they do look like a narrow gauge on steroids. I imagine a decapod would look just a tad "husky". :)

Mountain Man

MilesWestern said:
No, the Gauge was (and still is) 5feet 0 inches. It was a simple rebuild , they only had to widen the driver tires, and replace the tender trucks.

I stand corrected - I have no idea where I got that idea from. I went a dug up my copy of Steel Rails To Victory to remind myself of the correct gauge. :eek:ops:

Great photos in it for modellers, BTW: a German "handcar" powered by two bicycles - one attached to each side, a crudely armored Kubelwagen converted to a rail recon car for a Pioneer Battalion, and a photo of Soviet POW's being used as human switch engines, justo n one page alone. Some terrific photos of the decapods too, which is really what I was looking for besides shocking my brain back into action. A very interesting one of a dec' pushing an entire consist of flatcars loaded with tanks towards the front lines. The accompanying explanation says this was to cut down on losses of locos to mines, and a special gondola with a T-34 with crew semi-permanently attaxched to the front of the loco provided a measure of defense just in case.

If I were a European modeller, the Eastern Front would be a great subject.

Triplex

The last Little Joes were built standard gauge. However, in all cases, they had to modify the electrical system. SZD used (don't quote me on this) 3300V, MILW used 3000V, CSS&SB used 1500V. The Paulista had to convert theirs to 5'3" gauge and 3000V (again, don't quote me on the voltage).