Spectrum A.TS.F russian decapod

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Being a GN. fan but looking at the Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-0 with a DCC decoder and I believe tsnami sound for use on our club layout was wondering did the Santa Fe ever rostered these engines among their steam locomotive's?....I don't recall ever seeing one' but then like i said at the begining......:rolleyes:
Also anyone know if there is a online review of this engine?

Thanks in advance.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Well, I just ordered one from Trainworld yesterday, so I'll give you a comprehensive review in a week or so...sound good?

Well...the AT&SF was one of the first to pioneer this class of locomotive, along with earlier pre 20th century examples on the LV, and the ERIE.

(THE Following is a QUOTE from Wikipedia, Retrieved from the link Below, Feb, 25th 2007

"The first boost in the number of Decapods occurred when Imperial Russia ordered approximately 1200 Decapods from American builders during World War I. When the Bolshevik revolution occurred in 1917, over 800 had already been delivered, but more than 200 were either awaiting shipment or were in the process of construction.[citation needed] These stranded locomotives were adopted by the United States Railroad Administration (USRA), the body created by the Government to oversee and control the railroads during the War, converted to American standards, and put to use on American railroads. Small and light-footed, these Russian decapods proved popular with )smaller railroads, and many of them remained in service long after the USRA's control of the railroads ceased. Many indeed lasted until the end of steam on those railroads." -Wikipedia, 2007.

Here's in INCREDIBLY weathered Decapod (same one as bachmann makes) in China, somewhat recently STILL IN SERVICE (circa late 1980's) http://www.modelrussianrailways.com/images/china/cdecapod.jpg

Look around ATSF railfan.net for perhaps more info.

Enjoy!

cajon

LAJ #1 at Engine House
Sep 16, 2004
Santa Fe Springs CA
Santa Fe 2-10-0

Decapods on the Santa Fe were not very common. This list shows only 2. Santa Fe did have alot of 2-10-2s as can be seen in the list.
http://orion.math.iastate.edu/jdhsmith/term/slusatsf.htm
Here's some Santa Fe steam pix from the San Diego Model Railroad Museum site: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/artifacts/Santa_Fe/index.html

Just got "Iron Horses of the Sante Fe Trail." It shows 11 decapods as Dick says below. They were in the following classes - 987 (1), 988(2), 2554(3) & 2565(5). Baldwin built all except the 988s which were built by ALCO. There were 216 2-10-2 in 9 classes. The 988s were built in 1902 for use on Raton Pass & were the biggest engines in the world at that time. From what MilesWestern says above looks like the Bachmann Decapod may be used for a 988 class Santa fe. Haven't seen the Bachmann model so can't say for sure. Could scan cthe pic in the Iron Horses, but not sure how to post it here. You could email thru here & I can email to anyone who wants a pic.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
GN, Iv'e just recently ordered my second Decopod from Bachmann---I just happen to like the size and shape of them. I have several other engines, a couple of them are a little picky about a certain section of track, but the Decopod is a good runner. The one I just got is very sharp, front of boiler is silver, very narrow white rings around the wheels, darkened siderods, Alantic coast line.
Iv'e just had this one a few days, but the first one ran fine, and then just quit. Sent it back to Bachmann. Even though my first one is in for repair, I would still highly reccomend the Decopods. After Iv'e run this one for awhile, I'll do an honest evaluation of it on the forum. ---------------- John

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
YES Kansas City Mexico and Orient was issued 3 of the orriginal decapods. I have two I back dated them to 1918 # 1178 and 1179. Tho I kept the generator and electric light, a little moderanization. ATSF not listed as original leaser of URRA issued Russian Decapod. Eire had the most 75 and liked them. My road the CNJ had almost 20. Hated them! Used them sparingly. Never updated them. They came with the Russian walkway railings and oil lamp headlight. CNJ ran them that way. For the entire time the CNJ had them they were lettered USA on the tender and original number on the cab. CNJ kept them in PA. Davis who did the article on the Reading ones in MR told me of a Photo a pair of them taken at Jim Throp ( Machuk )PA.

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
toptrain1 said:
YES Kansas City Mexico and Orient was issued 3 of the orriginal decapods. I have two I back dated them to 1918 # 1178 and 1179. Tho I kept the generator and electric light, a little moderanization. ATSF not listed as original leaser of URRA issued Russian Decapod. Eire had the most 75 and liked them. My road the CNJ had almost 20. Hated them! Used them sparingly. Never updated them. They came with the Russian walkway railings and oil lamp headlight. CNJ ran them that way. For the entire time the CNJ had them they were lettered USA on the tender and original number on the cab. CNJ kept them in PA. Davis who did the article on the Reading ones in MR told me of a Photo a pair of them taken at Jim Throp ( Machuk )PA.

Sooo' your saying the A.T.S.F did in fact have three of the russian decapods?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Baldwin DID build domestic versions of this locomotives for numerous shortlines. An Article in the March 1969 Model railroader provides a shred of information, along with "Great Western RR's" (Colorado) 2-10-0. now Strasburg's #90, part of the lesser-known fleet of Baldwin Light 2-10-0. That's a light decapod, meant for shortlines with light rail, and such. There were many 2-10-0's built by PRR, of their own design.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Gil Finn said:
Why buy a Red engine, were those sold here in this country or were, like the top break S&W made here for sale there.

They weren't Russian engines. They were American built to fill an order received from Czarist Russia. Only part of the order had been delivered when the communist revolution occured. At that time no more were shipped to Russia, but that meant that the manufacturer (Baldwin I think) was stuck with a bunch of completed locomotives that they needed to sell. They sold them to a bunch of American railroads, and they were known as "Russian Decapods" because they were originally built to spec for the Russian railroads.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The same situation occurred more than 30 years later. In the late 40s, SZD (Soviet Railways) ordered some electrics from GE. They were built, but then the Cold War began. The engines were subsequently used by MILW and CSS&SB, as well as Companhia Paulista in Brazil (later FEPASA). In the US, they were known as "Little Joes", short for "Little Joe Stalin's engines". In Brazil, they were called "Russas" (Russians).

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Must have been an interesting and major rebuild to American gauge. Wasn't the Russian RR built to a 7' broad gauge?

Seems like you would end up with locos that looked a lot like to standards converted to narrow gauge here in the States, with bodies that hung out over the smaller trackage, mounted on a much narrower wheel base. Regular gauge down to narrow gauge is a wheel base 1'8" narrower, while Russian Broad Gauge down to American standard would be 2'4" narrower. Doesn't sound all that stable, and it seems like there would be some mechanical issues as well.