Spectrum 80 Ton 3 Truck Shay Unlettered

UPJunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Nixa,Mo
www.geocities.com
I am planing on getting the Spectrum 80 Ton 3 Truck Shay Unlettered and it says

All of the drivetrain is hidden for added realism, but the piston rods and valve gear on the side of the loco move as it moves! Metal motor bearings and an operating headlight are standard, and the locos are DCC-Ready The models also feature a detailed underframe. All wheels are blackened and feature RP25 contours; the tender also features blackened wheels that provide additional electrical pickup. Each model comes complete with rust-colored EZ-Mate(R) couplers. Put your new Shay in service pulling the Silver Series(R) Log Car with Logs, available separately as BAC18332.

I am not running DCC can i still use the Spectrum 80 Ton 3 Truck Shay

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Yes, you can still run dc. When a manufacturer says it is dcc ready, it means the model is set up from the factory to run on dc, but by unplugging a small jumper plug and plugging in a dcc decoder, it is ready to go on dcc.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Russ is right, it comes with a "shorting plug" that makes it able to run on straight DC. I own one and I just do flippity flops when I see it in action. At top speed it takes 57 minutes to run the 750' loop on our club mainline. It is one beautiful lokey, enjoy!!!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
At top speed it takes 57 minutes to run the 750' loop on our club mainline.
My fellow club members get just a little up tight when I bring the shays..and they thought they'd go twice as fast doubleheaded......heh, heh, heh.
The first time I ran a shay at a club openhouse, every visitor was gathered around to watch it run.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by sumpter250
My fellow club members get just a little up tight when I bring the shays..and they thought they'd go twice as fast doubleheaded......heh, heh, heh.
The first time I ran a shay at a club openhouse, every visitor was gathered around to watch it run.

I jes' luvs to create a rolling logjam during an operating session:D :p And you're right, the visiters just love watching it in action.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here's some shots of my Cass Scenic Railway shay, pulling my Teakettle 0-6-0 around the club layout set up at the recent Pensacola Model Railroad Show last weekend. Many thanks to Mike Bobe at Bobes Hobby House ( www.bobeshobbyhouse.com )for sending them to me.

Attachments

• shay01.jpg
    shay01.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 97

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I will be running this on its own loop of track at the GATS show in December. My module is currently being recofigured to fit the club's layout as we speak.

Attachments

• shay03.jpg
    shay03.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 96

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Spectrum HO Climax

I bought a pair of them when they first came out. We test ran them on the hobby shop's layout just to see what they'd do. The store manager and I watched in amazement as the loco c-r-a-w-l-e-d around the layout at its maximum speed of about 15 scale miles per hour. When it ran into a long stretch of hidden trackage, we could not hear it and had to check the meters to make sure it was running. It took so long to make it around that part of the layout that one of us eventually crawled under the pike to make sure it had not gotten hung up in there!

Right now, I'm expanding my HO scale Crandon & Northern RR layout (Phase 2) of construction. I should be laying track by winter on the remainder of my 12 ft. X 13 ft. empire. Am working right now on the logging company right of way. I can't wait to see those Shays lugging my Keystone Climax log cars to Camp 17 ! I sure hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.:D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Re: Spectrum HO Climax

Originally posted by grlakeslogger
I sure hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.:D

It was the hit of the layout. Even the speed demons loved it and it is the pride of my R-T-R fleet.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by sumpter250
Shaygetz,
The only thing neater than seeing your Cass Scenic Railway #5 shay, was riding the cab of the prototype from Cass to Whitaker, and back.
Pete

I look forward to the oppurtunity to take my kids up there in the near future. 'Till then, the GreenFrog video I have will have to do. I broke my $40 dollar rule on locomotives with this one as I had purchased it in honor of my late father. We both went on railfan trips regularly, shooting for but never getting to Cass.