Spectrum 4-6-0 question...

Iron Goat

I just bought a Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 and I want to put a decoder w/sound in it, but the tender is VERY small, and I'm wondering if it is possible after all. Has any one on the forum got one of these "ten wheeler's" and have you installed a sound decoder in it ? I have e-mailed Bachmann and Soundtraxx, but no replies as of yet.

Thanks..... :confused:

Gary Pfeil

Iron Goat, check at Tony"s site, I thought they talked a bout a circuit board decoder for that model, much like the one for the 2-8-0. Old site was at www.ttx-dcc.com They had to change it after TTX corp complained! I believe it will forward you.

Iron Goat

Thanks Gary, I'll try that. I was thinking my only option was to buy a larger tender and I was trying to avoid that problem... Bachmann has a USRA tender available, does anyone know if that is prototypical ??? I guess beggars can't be choosers...but the USRA sure looks l-o-n-g to me for a match-up with the "ten wheeler".

Any comments ?

Thanks again,
Bob :eek:ops:

ross31r

i think there is either already available or about to come out a sound decoder for the 4-6-0 by Soundtraxx, i know the rest of the spectrum steamers (bar the brand new 2-6-6-2) already have "plug and play" decoders, i have one fitted into my spectrum 2-10-0 and the tender on that is the same size (if not slightly smaller than) the tender coupled to the 4-6-0 and i had no prblems with fitting it in.

Iron Goat

Thanks again for the replies...

Ross: Soundtraxx said they do not have anything at present, only for the 2-10-0,,, as it's tender is about 1/3 larger than the small one that comes standard with the 4-6-0. (Three of the 4-6-0's come with the USRA tender, and the other four come with a shorter one... and unfortunately that is the one I have. Bachmann does offer for sale separate tenders ( the only match-up I see there is the USRA LONG... ) and I think it is the larger version than the one you have on you 2-10-0. The Soundtraxx sould work there just fine, I just wonder if
it won't look like a tender accompanied by an engine, instead of the other way around.

I called Bachmann, and have posted my question on "Ask Mr. Bach-Man" ....

Thanks again for you help. / Bob

Jon Grant

Here's a copy of a possible solution I posted on the AMR Forum.

How'z'about stripping everything out from inside the tender, including the coal, and mounting the decoder at an angle from front(top) to bottom(back).

Then fabricate your own coal load to fill the bunker - lead sheet or tin foil, if weight isn't an issue - and cover it in real coal chippings. If you need a bit extra height you could always mount some wooden coal rails.

If this is gibberish, I can always post a diagram of what I mean.

Good luck.

Jon

Iron Goat

Thanks, Jon... if Allen Lloyd at Soundtraxx can't find me something that works, I'll probably go with your option.

Thanks again... Bob

Iron Goat

TONY'S advised that there is a "fix" to my problem... and the old saying "be careful what you wish for..." seems to apply here. The "cure" appears as troubling as the "problem" itself! If there is not a more simple fix than this, then I will undertake the "major surgery" involved..

For the benefit of any fellow sufferers (owners of the low boiler / 52" driver version of the Spectrum 4-6-0), I will post the site explaining the "fix" required in placing a DSD 090 sound decoder, and a 1.1 inch speaker in the tiny tender.

http://tonystrains.com/tonystips/2003/032703.htm

Thanks again, one and all for your assistance (but if anyone has ANYTHING further to add, it will be much appreciated).

God bless,

Bob / Iron Goat

ross31r

well the tender on the 4-6-0 must be absolutely tiny then because my 2-10-0 is towing an 84mm long (over the outside of the body) tender thats 22mm tall over the shortest portion of the outside and its still got room for the decoder. and Soundtraxx also do a plug-and-play for the shay and consolidation. the 2-10-0 one might give the closest approximation of the sounds that the 4-6-0 would make because its drivers are closer in diameter than those of other bachmann locos.

Iron Goat

Yeah, Ross... I knew it was short from the catalog photo, but when I unpacked it at the LHS we both laughed about it's size (it almost reminds you of the old wood burner's tender on the 4-4-0's, but just a tad larger...). It measures 20 HO scale ft. long, and the molded "set-back" of it's coal bunker makes the interior (cavity) even smaller. Then the 52" drivers lower the units height, and the low boiler makes the locomotive cab roof over-hang even lower than normal. I could end all this if I did not want to stay prototypical, but I'm a stubborn cuss.

Thanks for the "come-back"..... Bob / Iron Goat