Specific help for laying track bed

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Before you put any track down, I'd suggest you play around with a computer-aided design program, like XtrkCad.

It will let you try many different configurations (and save a lot of trees!) as well as letting you test-run trains on your layout, so you can check clearances as well as operating scenarios. And, it will give you a parts listing of all the track you have used. When you're ready to build your layout, you can even sacrifice a couple of trees and print a 1:1 plan of your layout, paste it on your benchwork and lay track right over it.

Best of all, XtrkCad is FREE! It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, but once you've got the hang of it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

How exactly do I print 1:1 lol...tape 16 pages together? lol anyways I have a track plan and already laid my roadbed down for my outer loop

YmeBP

prodigy2k7 said:
How exactly do I print 1:1 lol...tape 16 pages together? lol anyways I have a track plan and already laid my roadbed down for my outer loop

All the trak plannign software tools have the correct size of track you will be using so as long as you match up what you have laid out and what you have in your software it will work.

In my case i veered from my track plan a little (i used the atlas free rts 7.0) and i catully went back into my software adn updated the track plan to match as close as possible what i did on my layout. It makes it easy to add secitons in the future as you will know exactly how much track etc you will need.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
No, you're right. You print them off on pages, and tape them together for the complicated bits... but you don't have to cover the whole bench... just where there's track. :p

or you could do like people like me do,, I tried for weeks to figure out the atlas track program and gave up,,, finally just ordered tons of track and switches,,,, got the layout I wanted and probably enough track to open a hobby store,,,,,,,,, it sounds like you doing ok prod,,,,keep us updated with pics,,,, ,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, st