special effects experiment

cn nutbar

hello everyone---have you ever taken a picture that just didn't look right ? doctor wayne recommended the"PICTURE IT" program and i've been altering some old pictures---here's a couple of samples

31052006038-1.jpg

31052006050.jpg

cn nutbar

thanks josh---the program is from microsoft---it's called ---Picture It ! express version 7.0---i would think any computer store would have them

Herc Driver

Very nice quality! Overall good quality shots. The trees and greenry coming out of that tunnel are great. Talk about a very realistic blend of green stuff.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Nice...! Incredible how the software allows you to turn a tunnel entrance into a station...! ;) :D sign1

Andrew

Torpedo

Awww, I was gonna say something like changing engine types and directions, etc. Then I thought no, I really shouldn't crack wise, but I see I was wrong. :D

It would have been interesting to see the "before" pics along with the "afters."

cn nutbar

hello everyone---thanks for your responses and suggestions---torpedo,when i submitted this thread i should have shown the before and after alterations but at the time i was just trying to show the finished product without attempting to show the changes that had been made---really the only alterations involved "cropping " the original picture,no other effects were added.actually the original pictures had been deleted when i hit the save button after changes had been made so i'm unable to show the originals ---now,i upload the original picture ( in the gallery ) before saving the changes so i have copies of before and after shots
here's a few more shots were i used cropping---hope you enjoy the results---nutbar

31052006097.jpg

260406061.jpg

doctorwayne

Glad to see that you've posted the shot of the 5626: cropping out the ceiling, etc. really saved the picture. Even makes my non-existent scenery look pretty good. ;)

Wayne

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
I LOVE that pic of #5626! It would make a great desktop wallpaper... so would all of them.

Another totally FREE program that you can use is paint.NET. You can download it from http://getpaint.net/. Not only can you crop photos, but you can do all kinds of stuff like adjust brightness, color, contrast, levels, etc. and add special graphics effects.

Torpedo

I just took a look at the Paint.net web site, and found that it requires your computer to have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Googling .NET Framework 2.0 AND problem got lots of hits.

I think I'll pass.

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
Torpedo said:
I just took a look at the Paint.net web site, and found that it requires your computer to have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Googling .NET Framework 2.0 AND problem got lots of hits.
I hope I'm not too off subject here, but the reason there are so many search results for ".NET framework problems" is that just about everybody is using it and it's on almost every computer nowadays. I've never had any problems with it. It does, however, require Windows 2000 or later, but you really shoudn't be using anthing older than that anyway because you are much more vulnerable to hackers and viruses on such an old system.announce1
But that's a discussion for another thread. Great photos, cn nutbar!!! :thumb:

Oh, and the better programs have something called "Auto color correction" or something like that for if you're not feeling adventurous enough to adjust the brightness, contrast, etc. of the photo directly.

cn nutbar

hello all---thanks for the replies--- i changed the angle of this picture and also cropped it---now it looks much more realistic

2005090.jpg

Torpedo

Maineiac said:
I hope I'm not too off subject here, but the reason there are so many search results for ".NET framework problems" is that just about everybody is using it and it's on almost every computer nowadays.
I disagree. It isn't on any of the Windows machines in this house, for example, and it isn't on any of the Windows machines at my wife's place of employment, where she is a Systems Administrator. In fact, it seems to mostly be installed on developer's machines, some, but not all business machines, and some network gamers machines.

Maineiac said:
I've never had any problems with it. It does, however, require Windows 2000 or later, but you really shoudn't be using anthing older than that anyway because you are much more vulnerable to hackers and viruses on such an old system.announce1
That's not right, either. It requires Win 98 or later, according to Microsoft. It comes with Vista and Windows Server 2003. For everything else, it is an add on.

And if you are implying that I am running an insecure system, you are out of bounds. You have no idea what I am running. announce1announce1announce1

Allow me to restate my concerns with Paint.NET.

For people considering downloading Paint.NET, please be aware that you will also be required to download a Windows OS extension called .NET Framework 2.0 that requires 280 MB of disk space (610 MB for 64 bit systems), in addition to that required by Paint.NET itself. Uninstalling Paint.NET will not uninstall the .NET Framework. That will require a separate uninstall.

There are numerous reports of .NET Framework mucking up peoples machines.

Getting .NET Framework onto users' machines is a key Microsoft business strategy. This is undoubtedly why Microsoft provided free support to the developer of Paint.NET.

.NET Framework is not uncontroversial. Some software professionals view it as just another piece of Microsoft's dominate the world strategy. Some don't agree. You can find out more about it at Wikipedia.

.NETFramework is a complicated piece of software that adds another layer to the computer security issue. The default settings may be OK, but then again, they may not be. The National Security Agency (NSA) has an unclassified PDF available online entitled "Guide To Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Security." It totals a whopping 298 pages.

For myself, I decided that a free Windows paint program that requires a .NET Framework install isn't worth the risk, no matter how good the program. Others may feel differently.