Sparring amongst ourselves

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by ThunderChild, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

I have no idea why anyone would deliberately just browse the bitches and gripes section, but for those who happen upon this thread other than from the Destroids thread in Anime section, let me give a GENERALIZED description:

A link to a papermodel is posted by member 'A'.
    Member 'B' states that the download of the model is without the designer's permission.
    'A' and 'B' then start fighting over indignities said and done to each other.
    Members 'C' - 'W' joins the arguments, sometimes picking sides, sometimes trying to voice their own opinions. Only members 'x', 'y' and 'z' try to get the topic on track again.

There you go, the formula that got the whole snowball rolling for me... On to my bitching and griping...

Strange as it sounds, I don't have a problem with any of this per se. I accept the fact that it's part of the human condition.
    My blood boils because of this:

I can't speak for others here, but I'm sure it's safe to assume that all (at least most) will agree: If a prospecting paper modeler happens upon this thread (Destroids and other mecha), or similar which focuses on their specific interest, how would they react, and what would their first impressions be about the thread, the forum in general, and the people taking part in the discussion, when lots of what they read is back and forth sparring? Not a good one.

This thread ( Macross/Robotech Destroids, and other mecha) was started for discussions on All things Robotech, Macross, and anything thats got A$$-whoopin robots in it like Gundam, et al.
    My previous post (#133) was an attempt at getting the thread on topic again while not stepping on anyone's toes, as well as a SERIOUS inquiry into opinions on the new Macross frontier mecha.
    NOT A SINGLE PERSON even responded!

Of the 10 posts (i counted them) as I'm writing this, only two (By SteveO & Armorman) was on topic, with two (cgutzmer and Nothing) trying to get it back on track...
    That's not a good track record methinks!!!

I admit my fault in all this. I also publicly jump on the moral bandwagon from time to time, adding to the high-jacking of a thread, and I herewith apologize to those thread-starters.

A complaint without suggesting a solution is just hot air,
    so I would suggest:
    That anyone can request a specific model in any forum. (preferably in the dreams kit and wish list- thats what it's there for).
    If you are 100% certain the link you have is legitimate, feel free to post it.
    If not, use the private messaging system, or keep the link to yourself until you have verified its legitimacy!!!

That by itself should radically reduce the public bickering amongst ourselves. For the accusations and fighting that still continue, do it in PRIVATE MESSAGES!
    Ask for an apology by PRIVATE MESSAGE!
    Sort the problem out, by what..? let me hear you say it.... PRIVATE MESSAGE!
    If you cannot sort it out by yourselves, request direction from a moderator. How..? PRIVATE MESSAGE!

Some thread highjackings can be fun, humorous and even enlightening. It's also something that we will never get rid of, and personally, I wouldn't want to get rid of them, as long as it does not last, oh... let's say for argument's sake, two or three pages...

Here you have my opinion on it.

If you want to reply on this topic, please do so. Here.

If you want to converse about Robotech, Macross, Models of said anime series, anything that has butt-whupping robots in it, and anything else good natured leading naturally from discussions of stated topics, go to:

If you have anything to say regarding a link I have posted, or have a link you think I would enjoy having a look at (and am not entirely certain if it's legit) or
    If you have anything to say to me that's of a personal nature, do it... how..?
    Let me hear it one more time, with full voice, even those at the back...Yea you...

I cant hear you!

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    Thank you and good night.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good night buddy :)
  3. cybrsqrl

cybrsqrl New Member

Thank God some level heads prevailed. I wasn't sure if it would be out of line to tell people to move the arguments to someplace more appropriate because it detracts from the thread ,but that type of circular argument is annoying and wastes space better suited to the topic of the thread.
    Just my two cents: Everyone who is in this hobby has started out downloading the stuff they found. I'm betting that not more than one or two of you asked where the models came from because they cared that it might be commercial.
    Of course people know that it's wrong to steal.I can even understand the temptation to download scans of hard to find models. I downloaded and built the offending model in question. It took me months to find it and it was obvious that it was at one time a popular model, but at no point did I ever find a reason for why the model was difficult to locate nor did it occur to me that it might be a commercial model.
    I know better now, but i can't say that I will never download a "pirated model" again. With the internet being as big as it is and the sheer numbers of people on it speaking different languages, it would be impossible to verify that eveything I find is legit.
    That being said, I agree with TC. PMing is the best way to do this. It's less intrusive to the thread and should help stop the fires from spreading.
  4. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I would like to apologize for my part in the whole derailing of the thread as it was my 2 posts that probably did the most damage and started this whole mess in the first place. I have always had a habit of going a bit too far in some of my replies, in particular when those replies are typed early in the morning ( before my third coffee) and can be escalated if I'm in a bad mood due to other stuff that has nothing to do with the thread (as was the case here).

For the record, I did want to make some comment in the other thread about getting back on topic but felt I had typed too much crap already and just wanted to move on... which I did. Only to find , 2 days later, what a mess I had started in the first place.
    So, once again, sorry for the hijack/mess. If you like I can go back and clean up the thread to remove some of the off topic and out of line posts as that kind of thing can get in the way of new members or new people to the hobby wanting to post anything in the first place.

P.S: I've only had one coffee so far this morning so I hope this post has come out the way I intended it to. :D
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I think if you provided a list of post links ... a moderator could have trimmed off the un wanted posts.

I haven't been card modeling for long but I have a rather good handle on recognizing scanned or pirated models. I know it doesn't make me look good to say that but my experience started at ebay and getting burned at the beginning of my venture into this hobby.

There should be some ground rules to posting links to models on here. I'm glad the admins/moderators are quick to get the links off our forum though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.