Sparky things

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Does anyone remember those , i guess they were traction powered, $2 cars for kids that you push and a traction motor keeps it rolling? Ok heres the question - those cars that i am researching alsoshot sparks out of them. I believe they use to also have plastic guns that shot sparks out as well. Anyone know how they worked and possibly how they might be able to be incorporated ( the spark part ) on an HO train layout, possibly at a" downed wire" scenario or even a guy welding? Were ehese sparks dangerous? I know they seeme to be safe enough to hand out to litttle kids. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
As I can recall, those sparks were generated by a piece of flint on a spring that rubbed against a rough wheel as those cars moved along.

Dangerous? Well they were hot sparks and could burn a hole in a piece of paper. As a matter of fact, when we were kids, we tried just that. :wave: :D I doubt that the FDIC, EPA, OSHA, MBA or SPCA would allow anything like that in kids hands today. The American Bar Association on the other hand might just love to see them on the market again. :rolleyes:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
ezdays said:
I doubt that the FDIC, EPA, OSHA, MBA or SPCA would allow anything like that in kids hands today.

Ah luv 'Merica...whudda country:thumb:

I have a toy jig saw that works just like that, still sold at Walmart too. The flint isn't sprung, it simply rests against a gritty flywheel on a lever so that the speed and bounce makes it erratic. While I doubt it would hurt the scenery, I have no problem believing it could easily light up say Ambroid Pro-Weld or thinner. Pretty cool idea, keep us posted...if it works I'll abscund my son's toy and be off in a flash:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
60103 said:
Isn't that the same mechanism used in cigarette lighters?

Almost, but not quite. The flint rides against a flywheel that uses perpetual motion to continually spin after one squeeze of the trigger. A lighter only moves the length of the thumb it rolls against.