Spare 6.5 minutes of your time?

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That was cool!!! (I kept on expecting to see some huge crash or Hitchcock plot twist with that music playing in the background.) The image quality was pretty good, music volume was good. The layout and scenery work is awesome, really great work.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
:thumb: :thumb: but how 'bout Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyrie"...I kept waiting for some giant claws to descend upon one of the trains and carry it off with that sound track.:thumb:

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Herc, Austin, Russ and Dominic, Thanks for the kind words! Thoroughbred, indeed that was a Southern, a GP 38 high nose.

The music was not a perfect match for the video. For one thing the music depicts a fast moving, steam driven train. It was an orchestral piece written at the close of the Romantic Period and before Atonal Music got going. The piece is called “Pacific 231” by Arthur Honegger. He saw and heard a steam engine and was inspired to write the music I used as a sound track. When it turned out to be just the right length, I left it in. How different the vid might feel if the soundtrack was “Wabash Cannonball” or something.

Thanks also Turkey and Loud music. I was fun to put together and even more fun to show.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you for showing us your video. I love your scenery and especially the trick with the mirror.

As for the music - it is very interesting that Honegger got the inspiration for his work "Pacific 231" from a French Pacific engine, class '231A', which was used for heavy freight trains. (The French used the number of AXLES for the type designation, so a 4-6-2 became a 231. BTW, the most famous of the French Pacifics was the 231K which was used for express trains.)

Honegger was an almost fanatic trainlover, and so he wanted to transform the 'feel' and the sounds of an engine into music - " I quote Honegger: "...from the calm sounds of a simmering, standiing engine, through the strain during acceleration, uo to the mighty roar of a heavy freight train, storming through the night at 75mph..."

Here's a pic of the 231A in 1923.

Ron

Attachments

• SNCF 231A.jpg
    SNCF 231A.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 92

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Ron,

Thanks so much for adding on to the Honegger story, I never knew 231 was an axle designation. I always figured it was a road number.

DCC YmeBP.