spar tree

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
This is not my work but that of a good friend who loves to scratch build. He build this little diorama of a logging spar tree in "N" scale. His rigging detail is awesome and seems complete, the steam donkeys he made from misc. materials.

Attachments

• mvc-023s.jpg
    mvc-023s.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 323

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
He asked me if something like this would sell on e-bay. I've told him, that even though it is pretty rugged in it's construction, how would you package and ship it? In any case thought you all would enjoy pictures of this fellows scratch building.

Attachments

• mvc-019s.jpg
    mvc-019s.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 320

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Another of his projects is the freight car ferry that ran from Bridgeport, CT over to Long Island in the late 1800s. This water line model goes onto his module of Bridgeport harbor.

Attachments

• mvc-025s.jpg
    mvc-025s.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 305

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Bill Pontin
He asked me if something like this would sell on e-bay. I've told him, that even though it is pretty rugged in it's construction, how would you package and ship it? In any case thought you all would enjoy pictures of this fellows scratch building.

Very nice. I think if he sold it it could be shipped by securing the base to the bottom of a very sturdy box, so no packing materials are in contact with the model. Insured, no doubt! $25 packing fee or pick up!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Beautiful modelling of the riggings lines, and that freight car ferry is fabulous, especially as it was modelled in N-scale.

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
As a frequent Ebay seller...everything from china to fragile glass radio transmitting tubes....the trick to keep any thing from getting broke is do not pack it tight and don't let it come in contact with the sides, bottom or top of the carton and if you think the carton is too big its probably too small.:eek:

The carferry for example. I would first put it a large plastic bag to keep it from getting marred by the packing. Then I would add about 4" of styrofoam peanuts to the bottom of the carton and center the ferry in the carton. You want 2-3 inches of clearence on the sides. Then I would fill the carton with peanuts leaving about 4" open from the top but making sure there was 4-6 inches of peanuts covering the model. For the last 4" I would add a quanity of loosely wadded up newsprint to slightly compress the peanuts when the lid is closed.

Tape the top of the carton and shake it. If you can feel the contents move open it back up and gently compress the peanuts with your hands and add some more. Replace the wadded up paper and try again. When you get it where it doesn't move it ain't gonna get broke.

UPS has opened a number of my shipments lately as they are on an inspection kick. They always compliment me on my packing:)

BTW...Bill...Please tell your friend for me that those are beautiful models and please don't sell them...If he's hungry let me know and I'll send him some beans!!! LOL:D :D :D

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Bill P

Really great modeling --- hard to believe it's N scale.

I love that car ferry. Would you ask your friend if he had drawings of it, or just faked it from an old photograph or something.

If there are drawings or photos, I'd love to get my hands on a set. If not, I guess I could make a model from the photo of his model.....

Bill S

Bill, your friend's craftsmanship is just incredible. I have no doubt his models could sell anywhere.

The ferry reminds me of another freight ferry, the G.T. Chrey, which was the subject of a two-part series that ran in the Gazette several years ago.

Bill Stone - if you're interested in the article/plans I mentioned above, let me know. I'm pretty sure I still have both issues (I think they're somewhere at home), and I'll scan them for you.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
That would be terrific, Casey. My thanks.

Some of the things I wonder about from the photo that Bill P posted, is what it looks like down there between the paddle wheels. I'm guessing that the rails run between, and the cars are loaded/unloaded only from the stern..... and that there is probably a total capacity of two cars.

Bill S

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
"The idea was to transport the train, minus its locomotive, via car ferry to wilson's point, Conn., where the connection with the Housatonic Railroad could be made."
"The New York and New England Railroad, joined with the Long Island Rail Road, to form the Long Island and Eastern States lines. This company acquired the steamer Cape Charles, which had been built by the Harlan & Hollingsworth Co. for the New York, Philadelphia and Norfolk Railroad Co., to transfer passengers and mail across Chessapeake Bay"- Steel Rails to The Sunrise- the Long Island Rail Road- by Ron Ziel and George H. Foster
The Island side of the ferry route was Oyster Bay. Thius was around 1891. The model looks like a " selectively Compressed" version of the prototype, which had the name "Cape Charles", and, "Long Island & Eastern States Lines" was under the name.
Bill, Your friend did a splendid job with that car ferry, and it was neat to be able to find the information on the prototype.
Pete

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Excellent modelling by you friend Bill. Another option to having to ship is to take the model to a hobby shop and see if they will sell on consignment. I have done that in the past. The only problem is he could then be innundated with orders for more.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Wow, been away for a few days and did not expect to see this many replies on my post. Pete - you are right my friends "N" scale model is compressed. He was working with a single picture from a historical article on Bridgeport, CT. He blew the picture up as big as he could, but it was not a sharp picture and he took some liberties and guesswork. Casey - have not seen the article you were mentioning to Bill S. but I see a picture of the G.T. Chrey model on the cover and inside of the current Evergreen Styrene Modeling book. Biggles - everything was scratch but the windows, doors and ladders, these are standard Grandt line products. The hand rails were strung with Berkshire Junctions EZ Line. He told me one of his little secrets, the paddle wheel housings where constructed from spray paint can lids.

Originally posted by Bill Stone
jpg's would be fine, Casey. Thanks
Bill S

Bill, I have the articles, but I thought I'd better warn you. There are three articles instead of two and they cover 13 pages. I scanned the first page at 150 dpi; the file size for it is almost 6 mb. Scanned at 300 dpi (which would give you a good printable copy), the file size is over 15 mb.:eek: :eek:

Unless you have a DSL or high speed cable connection, the download times for each page are going to be fairly substantial. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Perhaps the better way to get these articles would be to contact Bob Brown at the Gazette and purchase the back issues or request color photo copies of just the articles themselves.

Here's the info:

Benchmark Publications, Ltd.
4966 El Camino Real, #101
Los Altos, CA 94022
(415-941-3823)

"A Car Ferry for the Sn3 Pelican Bay Rwy. & Navigation Co., Presenting the G.T. Chrey," July/August 94 Gazette

"A Car Ferry for the Sn3 Pelican Bay Rwy. & Navigation Co., Building the G.T. Chrey," Sept./Oct. 94 Gazette

"The G.T. Chrey at Work," Nov/Dec 95 Gazette

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Casey Feedwater

Bill, I have the articles, but I thought I'd better warn you. There are three articles instead of two and they cover 13 pages. I scanned the first page at 150 dpi; the file size for it is almost 6 mb. Scanned at 300 dpi (which would give you a good printable copy), the file size is over 15 mb.:eek: :eek:

Hey Casey, if my web site wakes up like it's supposed to in the next few days, you could send them to me and I'll make them available for viewing/download and give you an unpublic link (meaning no one knows about it, but you, me the lampshade, and whoever you happen to tell).:D :D :D