spacing between wheels and rail

skiddgreen

Apr 28, 2003
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how much spacing should be allowed between wheels and rails around a track? I seem have some space between mine when I move my trucks from side to side on the rail.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi skiddgreen, the rolling stock have set wheels.
But when I have to regauge a diesel I simply turn it upside down in my hand and use a jewelers driver carefully prise one wheel on each bogie a little to widen the gauge or visa versa if to wide.:)
See if that solves the diesel prob, They do need a little play so dont make it a tight fit on the track.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Whoa up one here! There is some built in side to side play in the trucks of the cars and locomotive even when in proper guage.This side play helps the trucks track better by allowing for changes in track such as switches,curves and unseen track imperfections.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think most rolling stock and locomotives are manufactured in gauge other than the cheap toys, but Athearn locomotive wheel sets will tend to be out of gauge. If you have an NMRA standards gauge, you can easily adjust Athearn wheel sets by using your thumbs on wheels on either side and working them back and forth until the wheels are in gauge.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You have to be careful re-gauging wheels. I redid a 6 wheel (British) truck and then had trouble getting it through my Peco double slip switches. If you make the wheels too wide, they can go down switch frogs the wrong way.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I'm with Brakie on this one. They do have some "play" in them. You try a 6 wheel bogie or 6 wheel fixed loco round a sharp curve. you need that "slack" otherwise it will pop off the track.