Space Shuttle model by Hobby Model: good or not?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by billmcc, Jul 4, 2004.

1. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi Fellow Space Cadets,

Has anyone built, or even just looked at, the Space Shuttle model published by Hobby Model? If so, what is your opinion of this kit?

Ralph at said this model consists of the orbiter, external fuel tank and rocket boosters. As far as I know, this is the only Space Shuttle model available that comes with the external tank and boosters.

Regards, Bill M.
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Bill

Try this for the boosters.

This site also has the link for the Marscentre shuttles. you won't find a more detailed model of the shuttle.
    If you check out my album you will see some photos of the shuttle(not very good photos though)

And whats more they are FREE

Hope this helps

3. billmcc

billmcc Member

From the pictures in your album, it appears you did a very good job on your space shuttle model.

I downloaded the Mars Center shuttle 3 years ago, but I haven't started building it yet. The tank and boosters you mentioned isn't a complete kit and doesn't have much detail. If I buy the Hobby Model kit (1:72 scale), I am going to scan and reduce the tank and booster parts for the Mars Center shuttle (1:100 scale).

Regards, Bill M.
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Bill

I know what you mean about the boosters, I had to add a lot of detail to the ones I built. I did have a photo in my album a while ago but I kicked them out to make room for other photos. I found it quite easy to add the detail required. The hardest I found was getting a good photo of the conection between tank and shuttle.
    I just thought that you might have been able to adapt the model to your liking, for free it was worth a shot!!
    Keep us up to date of how you get on with this

PS The shuttle I did was built out of photo paper.
  5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Im sorry to disappoint you but that model is terrible...probably the worst model I have ever ordered.
    I have all the Rocket line from HM, Ariane 4 & 5, Vostok and Saturn 1b...all are excellent builds but a bit... :? ...on the colour schemes, so I have been able to scan and colour them properly. I looked forward to the Columbia and picked it up lat week and its...ouch..colour I can deal with but its very very stubby, detail less and...just wrong...The proportions and ....there too much to tell..
    Go with the free super kit by Fortezza, No boosters but..the HM is a waste of time.....
    thats my two pennies anyway.

John John
  6. billmcc

billmcc Member

John John and All,

I am sorry to hear the Hobby Model shuttle kit has so many shortcomings.

By the way, a member of the Paper Model Designers Smartgroup is working on a model of the boosters and tank to go with the Mars Center shuttle. I saw a photo of the first test build of one of the boosters and it looked fairly good. [/list]
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

hey, what do you mean you added details to the SRB and the ET? And you didn't send me a copy back to release a 1.1 version??? 8)))

Lets see-em!!!

"the paper man" at