Space Shuttle Columbia with launcher

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by hpept, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I'll see what I can do. The camera's battery is dead.:(
  2. hpept

hpept Member

Did someone build the stack i designed? If any, please post some pics, i would like to see how it came out. Thanx.
  3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

4. hpept

hpept Member

Really excellent execution jonathan!! I couldn't do better without instructions. Anyway, i will give you some advices. In the pic you posted is possible to see small white circels on the main cylinder. They have to be drilled to let a toothpick pass through so that the boosters can be attached more strongly. I didn't glue the boosters on my model and used this feature to show the jettison phase to my friends and they were amazed.
    Anyways you are on the right path my friend, i'm anxious to see the model finished.
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Its a fun little build. thats about 1 days work while snowed in.

I think your missing the support for the engine nozzle though, look at the
    contact sheet:

and you'll see how I improvised it:

also the shuttle supports were too small for me, I just ad-hocked them out of some thick cardboard I had, and painted it orange, a lot quicker for a part hard to see:

6. hpept

hpept Member

that's the fun of card modelling: easy fast do it yourself detailing. Keep up the good work.
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

8. hpept

hpept Member

Excellent execution Jon!!! :shock: It's amazing for me to see a model i designed to be built by another person. This gives me satisfaction and more drive to do other works to share with this wonderful community. Thank you.
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

jleslie48 -- very well done! It looks great.

hpept -- excellent design. Looking through the build photos jleslie posted, the fit appears perfect and the build straight forward.

Again...well done and a warm fuzzy to both of you. 8v)
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

heck of a rush isn't it???

It doesn't dissapate either. everytime I see a pic of one of mine it gives me a thrill.

I always make sure I send a pic of my build of anothers model to the designer. I know how much I like it. Thanks again for the model.
  11. wedge

wedge Member

Hello , I know that this is very out off topic , but I have very important question :) what is this ???[​IMG]
    What is the reason of the black lines ???
  12. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

What you see is a Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster frustrum. During ascent it contains the main parachute of the SRB. The frustrum is jettisoned from the SRB after it did it's job on ascent, then the main chute is deployed and the booster glides to splashdown. The frustrum itself will glide to a splashdown as well on a smaller chute (which is deployed after the nose cap is jettisoned).
    The markings, IIRC, are there to be able to distinguish the left and right booster.

best wishes Michiru
  13. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you very much :) I know what is on the picture , but this sentce was exactly what I needed :)