space shuttle Atlantis / Betexa / 1:72

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by wedge, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

It looks like you managed to get past the point that always screwed me up on the Fortezza shuttle. :thumb: This is turning out to be a very good model. Great work!
    Are you going to go ahead and build the Magellan probe anyway, even though you're modeling a closed payload bay? I have only seen a couple pics of how it looks from the website, so I wanted to see how it would turn out.
  2. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you guys. Sometimes I want to trample it :mrgreen: With the Magelan I´m not sure yet , maybe when I can put it into some diorama , but I have no ideas what diorama it should be. Do you have some Ideas ???Maybe I can use the payload bay , but I want something special :rolleyes: Don´t know what :mrgreen:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Payloads for The Atlantis Space Shuttle Orbiter

Hello wedge,

There are some really nice and very detailed alternatives for a payload on the MARSCENTER homepage in Italy - check ot the 'Destiny' or 'Quest' models (and Manuals) at the bottom of this page: Home Page di MARS Center -= Microgravity Advanced Research and Support Center =-

How about the US 'Destiny' lab for the International Space Station? It is quite easy to build (a rolled tube, basically) and it was in fact delivered by the Atlantis orbiter on mission STS-98 in 2001. And so was the 'Quest' airlock, on mission STS-104!
    The MARSCENTER model is excellent and very detailed. This model (by Dr. Raimondo Fortezza) is in 1:100 scale, but if you can up-scale it to A3 size instead of A4 size, you automatically get about 1:72 scale! This is in fact what I have done, to be able to do a 'kit-bash' of both the MARSCENTER and the BETEXA models.

Refer to AXM Paper Space Scale Models for the STS-98 or STS-104 flights with space shuttle Atlantis: Download page 4
    Furthermore, if you want a somewhat simpler model (with fewer parts), you can up-scale the AXM Destiny model.
    This is what the AXM Destiny model looks like in the payload bay of Alphonso´s fine Atlantis shuttle model:

And this is a comparison of the MARSCENTER and AXM Atlantis orbiter models, with the ISS Destiny lab module:

Good luck with your new payload build!
    All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :thumb:
  4. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you bengt very much , but i don´t have a problem with payload bay (I´m not going to build it) but with the Magelan probe :) What to do with it if I don´t want put it into trash bin :) But thank´s for your interest :wave:
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'Magellan' Venusian Space Probe

Hi again, wedge,

I suggest that you build it after you have completed your fine Atlantis model. The Magellan model is a very fine model in it´s own right. You could then display ot on a stand as a separate model, with a small plaque with the launch date, mission number, mission objective, etc.

With the Atlantis in flight version, or landed (with the landing gear extracted, and perhaps the two brake flaps in position?), this would make a fine diorama of the two spacecraft models.

Bengt :wave:
  6. wedge

wedge Member

simple but very good idea :) I will think about it - Thanks again bengt :thumb:
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Still looking good. I would build the sat' and hang it from your roof/ceiling.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Magellan Space Probe

Great idea, Paul,

How about hanging it on a wire circle around an enlarged model of the planet Venus? (if you´d like the complete planet model, wedge, I have the PDF with two sheets. Just PM me, and I will mail it to you!)

Venus model (round):

Attached Files:

9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

How much enlarged, I hope not at scale with the sat. There's not enough paper on the planet to make that, sign1.

I think I have Venus file somewhere as well. I also think I have some other planets.
  10. the mole

the mole Member

For those looking for a Space Shuttle Atlantis by Betexa try this site.

Good luck.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Betexa Raketoplán 'Atlantis' Model at Jimbo´s World/ Papermodels

Great find, mole!

It seems they actually have the Betexa model in stock! That is wonderful news for those who would like to build the original 1: 72 scale model, from which the MARSCENTER 1:100 scale space shuttle models are derived.

They also stock a lot of other interesting models from Betexa, for example in arcitechture, and some of the Czech 'abc' card model books, which are now out of print.

12. wedge

wedge Member

If you want something special from abc , maybe I can help - in CR there are a lot of older space models still very good to get. I also have some models twice , or I have possibility to buy them...
  13. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

....bought it :cry:

14. the mole

the mole Member

I just got home and waiting in the mail box was my order form paper model world.( I order 3 copies of the Space Shuttle Atlantis by BETEXA. They came in great shape. They look like they were just printed.

Hope you get your soon and they arrive in good shape also Nando.
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Betexa Raketoplán 'Atlantis' Model at Jimbo´s World/ Papermodels

The mole and Nando,

I couldn´t resist ordering a(nother) copy of the beautiful Betexa 'Raketoplán Atlantis' shuttle 1:72 scale model, just to be on the safe side for the future.
    I might want to build it from the original sheets and still have the option left of scanning it.
    Papermodels price (and shipping) is very reasonable indeed. Great find.

16. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

great find indeed... there's some really nice models on that site, he even has the extremely hard to find terminator 2 endoskeleton model, although it's still a bit out of my price range at $64US :eek:
  17. wedge

wedge Member

Space shuttle Atlantis is death...Because it is a big model , I put it on the ground under the towel (dust protection) and one of my roommate decided to give my chair back not near the table , but on this "duster" (don´t ask me why) . You can imagine what did my big confortable chair with this model...
    I´m really sad :-( - I´m going to kill my roommate when he falls asleep :nope:
  18. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Oh, The Humanity!

I've been there before. When my dog was just a puppy she decided that my Fortezza Endeavour would make a great chewtoy.
  19. bill516

bill516 Member

My puppy did that to my fortezza shuttle too, it started a thread what do you call a dog who eats your shuttle.

So what do you call a roomate who crushes your shuttle. Please lets not do the deep fried fruit bats in this one, it made me feel sick.

20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

ouch... and for such a complex project as well...