Space Above and Beyond

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Gearz

Gearz Member

SAAB Dvd

WWoooooHoooo... found it :-o ..bought it :shock: .. watching it..:lol:

Shame shame shame.. this could have developed into a great series. Even in the one season, the plots/acting matured a hell of a lot quicker than some other series I've seen. Haven't gotten as far as flipping frame by frame ~ yet, but it looks like the two meshes are cannon, its a credit to the 3d creator/s. So it a go for the Saratoga and Eisenhower as in the pix above. Yep the CVR will have to go on the list as well. Loved the 'ABANDON All HOPE' on the nose... nice touch!!
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Saratoga update

Going to risk not completely test building this model. I've tested the hull a while back and its workable, the detail is relatively straight forward, so I'm just compiling some sort of assemble guide, part numbers etc. and it'll be done. ... I was going to make an option to build 2812 or 2807 but its works out that it'd make a bunch of "And OR" problems with the parts layout, so It'll be two individual models.

3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yeah yeah, another 'Aaalll.. mooost.. theerree'

~ WHY? In this case the original mesh models were created by Game Modders (Homeworld). Most of which put in an ENORMOUS amount of ( unappreciated) work, to provide us with some outstanding creations. The models are all but done, but I won't be released them until the creators have given the nod. ~ I've heard back from one of the original Mod creators, jason8472

inter alia ~

We are the creators of the mod. I have been the Founder
    and web master of the project since its inception.

The JFK Class carriers you are referring to were a combined effort of Jeff
    Murcko, Spooky and Fabio Passaro. You would have to contact Spooky for
    permission, but he probably wouldnt mind. Just contact him first.

No, the Ike is not canon, but no one really knows for sure. Jeff
    did the high poly original model to the best of his knowledge, but I would
    say non canon.

I have loads of reference material on most of the ships seen in
    the series, ex: Hammerhead and ISS series, but tons on the JFK Class ex:
    Saragota. I will be putting all of what I have on the website in a new
    section Im developing called the Show Section. In there, the Episode
    Guide, Characters, DVD Screens and Interactive sub sections will reside.

dead link.... Terminated
  4. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Ahhhh man!

Now I'm gonna have another pile of models to build, test build or develop. :cry:
    I love the ISS ship. If no one else does it I'll have to dev that one myself. I was just sitting and looking over the hammerhead mesh that was talked about earlier in this thread before I came here. I just love the ships from this series. Can't wait to build em Gearz. Keep em coming.
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

hahaha... more test builds! but your so good at it! You'll have to flip on lurker mode, or start writing your build reports in monosyllables with a few grunts here and there.

6. Gearz

Gearz Member

Due diligence.. Unfortunately it seems many of the original creators of the Homeworld SAAB MOD are missing in action, not surprising considering the length of time since its release I guess. Its only ever turned to worms once on me, and that was a copyright issue as opposed to the use of creative content, so I'll have to take a punt ~ here's the Saratoga and Eisenhower.

Their fairly straight forward models to build, a good straight hull and the superstructure will look great. There's a few superstructure / desk parts that don't have flaps, I thought butt joints might look better ?. I've also included an optional stand ~ probably need some bluetac if you want to use it.

I'm 99% sure everything is good to go, as mentioned I haven't done a complete build ~ last minute bitmap editing etc ~ it doesn't need a test build, though a check build / report would be helpful just in case = problems please let me know.

2812 + 2807

Enjoy :-D
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

ex post facto ~

One of the original mesh creators has surfaced and given the nod. The files are the same with the exception of an updated credit, to acknowledge Steve Pike aka 'Spooky' as creator of the original game models.

Saratoga + Eisenhower

8. Gearz

Gearz Member

Sorry for the dead links, cabspace has fixed their problems, so these models are available.. 'again'

Dead Link ...eradicated

9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Saratoga Build Finally Finished!

The USS Saratoga, Eisenhower to follow someday. I had to print my copy in Black and white due to a lack of color ink, but it still looks pretty good to me. Nice model, Thanks, Gearz! Just a couple of suggestions for it, though. The deck that the bridge tower mounts on could use some internal bracing. My tower was a bit wobbly until I inserted 2 straight pins, one on each side of the tower base, to steady it. I would also add a couple more detail shots of the turret and Lidar assemblies to the instructions. Otherwise, a pleasure to build. I used pins to hold the model to the stand also since I don't usually glue models to their stands. The stand is necessary due to the Lidar extending below the hull.

Scott K.
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

WooHoooo.. nice build Scott! I didn't think I'd ever see a pic of it completed.. Thanks for the feedback, sounds good to me, I'll do a few mods and repost it ~ Is it Ok if I include one of your pix with the kit?
    :-D :-D :-D
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Very nice models kudos to the desinger and the builders. Never saw the series (maybe one episode) but it looks really good!
  12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Glad you like it, Thanx for making the kit for us! Sure, if you think the pix and build are good enough, go ahead and use what you want.

Scott K.
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks Scott!
    :-D :-D
  14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Oops, forgot something!

I found a cutout with gun turret parts on it buried on my work table. Hmm, what's this? Checked my references, oops, forgot the aft gun turret! Assembled and added, asap. Hey, Chris, does this count for the oops contest?

Scott K.

Attached Files:

15. Gearz

Gearz Member

Nice shot Scott + Good job on the long pulse weapon!

I'm really struggling for time at the moment, but I'll definitely include this pic in the kit. Thanks for the assist on this one mate, I appreciate it.

btb.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one ~ Wish I had a dollar for all the small parts I've lost amongst the clippings.
  16. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks, Gearz, and again, you're welcome! BTW, there's another good view of the port side in my gallery, a bit clearer than the starboard one I put up earlier. As for the pulse weapon, you should have seen the first attempt:roll: . I did *not* follow your advice in the instructions and was sorry for it. The "barrel" was twisted almost 90 degrees along it's length. I didn't notice until it was on the model. I looked at it for a while, was going to put up with it, but couldn't. So I cut it off, cut it apart, and re-did according to the instructions. What do you know, it worked! Note to all builders, when you see a note in the instructions (of any kit, but especially here) that says "for superior results..." follow it!:)

Scott K.
  17. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

Reviving an older post here and looking for help.

I Built Gearz 'Toga about a year ago.. Never finished her due to real life intruding. All that was left was some of the smaller details, missile batteries, gun turrets etc.

But the parts when printing off have this purple tone to them. You can't see it on the on screen parts but its there when I print. I have run diagnostics, cleaned the print heads etc. And printed on three separate machines. Still with the purple!

Any suggestions of how to tweak the settings so I get a nice clean battleship grey?

I'm planning to do a more detailed build, enhancing the 3D look with layering of the flight bays etc, possibly opening a couple of bays for a pair of Hammerheads

Anyway, this is what I got to date

18. fr33lancer

fr33lancer New Member

Nice man! I only got to see a few episodes when this series was originally out but have started watching the whole season recently.

Good job on the model looks real good. Do you think the purple is specific to your printer or is from the file itself?
  19. TonyG2

TonyG2 Member

I don't know.

Scott's model in the above post doesn't seem to have the tinting.

And the on screen files look fine.

But I've printed using three different machine (two types of Epson and a Lexmark) and I get the same each time. And then I print a Jaybats model - say the Daedalus or the Galactica and its normal. No purple tinge at all.

20. Gearz

Gearz Member

Howdy TonyG! glad your still about and modelling ? ~ Top build on the 'Toga mate, nice and true! lol.. sounds like me, I've got a bunch of stuff that's all in various stages of 'Finished'..

I wish some production company would pick SAaB up and continue the series. *How did the Chig's and Humans become separate species..? * Was there an advanced / updated version of the Hammerhead on the drawing board..? ..+?+?+?+?+? [sigh} seems these and ANY other questions may never be answered..

Re the textures ~ The original textures came from a Homeworld MOD, they did have a purple tint to them, however, at the time of development i was using a dodgy monitor, so i didn't notice any colour oddities.. from memory Scott printed his build in Grey scale.

For SAaB fans, K'jev developed an excellent ISSCV model HERE..