SP Black overnite boxcars: roof color?

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Models of the SP black livery Overnite boxcars all have black roofs, but it's been suggested to me that in reality these wouldn't have been painted but been in a silvery or aluminum color.
Does anyone know what's correct with these? Thanks!

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I couldn't tell ya. One of the guy's in our club bought a set of like 30 of them and they are all black roof. I would imagine they are silver/aluminum on top do to heat and sense the model manufacture's always cast car bodies in the molds of the main color of the car. They do make a great looking train though even though it's not my era. By the way, how ya doin' neighbor? lol

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I haven't seen anything in print that suggests that the roof on the black SP Overnights car was anything other than black.

There are plenty of examples in which model railroad manufacturers have done cars in which the roof is a different color than the body. Many of the Micro-Trains exterior post boxcars and some Intermountain boxcars have this characteristic.

matt fisher

Mar 1, 2006
turlock,ca
hi
sp did have overnight boxcars that had the silver roofs ,a friend of my has some of them ,the closes color is testors silver which a dead match check atherns web site one of the companys that they bougth out model die casting check under 40 foot boxcars.

matt fisher

matt fisher

Mar 1, 2006
turlock,ca
sp overnight boxcars

hi
sp did have the silver overnight boxcars with silver roof , testors has the closest paint the actually matches ,model die casting made them ,check atherns web site under 40foot boxcars my friend actually has a pair.

matt fisher

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Unfortunately Athearns don't list them anymore (presumably they're out of production).
Of course, there are silver-colored Overnite boxcars (the later livery) - do your friend's boxcars have black bodies and silver roofs, or are they silver all over?

Thanks for the info anyway!:thumb: