Sp 2690

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by cnw1961, Aug 5, 2007.

Should Kurt "patch" this loco as U.P., or buy a second loco for this purpose?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2007.
  1. "Patch" his existing loco

1 vote(s)
  2. Buy a second loco for "patching"

13 vote(s)
  1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Deano, I found some pics of ex SP MP15s. Most of them were painted in UP colors, but some were patched. I know, I shouldn’t tell you :mrgreen:, but SP #2690 was quite unique. I found a pic that shows the cab of the loco after it was replaced ( http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures\1719\IMG_2056.JPG ) when the engine was rebuilt to a low-emission "truck engine switcher" in 2005 ( http://utahrails.net/images/upy-2005-truck-engine-switcher_NRE_16-oct-2005.jpg ) .
    2690 was never painted in UP colors or patched … :cry::sad:

Josh, no need to tell me that you voted against patching sign1. No one voted in favor of the patches so far :mrgreen:.
  2. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Kurt: The weathering looks great:thumb:.. well done..
  3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Looks like Kurt's wife just voted! :rolleyes: ;) :-D :-D

4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

5. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Kurt:wav: , perhaps i should have clarified myself, ANY of the MP15's would work, but the REAL MP15's that sit in WSOR's yard at times are from UP's Harvard Sub in Janesville:winki: . ALL 8?:confused: , of them WERE CNW units:thumb: , i have a pic of ALL of them in the yard BEFORE they were painted in UP colors, they were ALL patched for UP though:thumb: . now i just have about 500 folders left to go through:roller: , you would think i would be smart enough to keep things of like together:oops:wall1 ...fear not, i am bent on finding that pic now:thumb: , I'll post it here when i find it:winki::mrgreen: . back to the search.....
    :deano: -Deano
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

I Found It!!!....

DRUM ROLL PLEASE...........the 100% REAL MP15DC's of UP's Harvard Subs Janesville yard, that ARE sometimes sitting at WSOR's roundhouse:winki::mrgreen: . here they are, sitting in all their CNW glory(well patched:toug: ), BEFORE they were painted in UP colors.......

SIDE NOTE: that Rio Grande you see there IS STILL at the Harvard Sub, and IS STILL just patched:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: .
  8. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Deano, thank you for this pic :thumb:. Did Atlas release a CNW MP15???:mrgreen:. BTW, this DRGW engine, is it the prototype for your model?
  9. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

NO PROBLEM KURT!:thumb: , thats what friends are for:winki::mrgreen: .

to answer your first question....

Thats Dads CNW MP15DC right after i installed the sound decoder, and detailed it for him:thumb: . if you look closely you will see the top of the speaker in the cab:oops: .

to answer your second question, NO, that Rio Grande is a GP, mine is an SD50:winki: , but i DO have a pic of the prototype for that too:winki::119: . Kurt, Kurt, Kurt, you should know by now i eat, drink, sleep and breath UP:winki::toug::mrgreen: .
  10. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

A beautiful engine, your dad’s MP15. I have to keep my eyes open on ebay Germany for an UP MP15, now that I am not allowed :mrgreen: to patch my SP unit (No, it was not my wife who voted for patching :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:). Deano, I don’t have any doubts that you have a prototype pic of every UP model you own :wave:.
  11. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Hey Deano, how can you save this post by itself? THis could come in handy for something later on:mrgreen:...
  12. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

But what about SP? You do have a cab-foward articulated, do you not Deano?
  13. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Simply "right click" on the picture, then select "Save as", and pick a file in your computer to save it to.

14. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Oh, Kurt, that's THE BEST weathering of an SP locomotive I've ever seen!!! (and that's REALLY saying something!) Everything is correct, such as the road dirt, the chipped paint, and the exhaust marks, completely PERFECT.

BTW, YOU MUST JOIN THIS SITE!! modeltrainsweathered you deserve some expert praise! :)
  15. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Holy cow! I just now viewed this thread and I have to say that weathering job is superb. Beautiful! Leave that one exactly as it is and buy another for the patch job.

Seriously, that is the best weathering on a diesel I have seen. I'm amazed! And inspired!
  16. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Mark, oops, sorry, I overlooked your post. Thank you for your kind words.

Miles, Gary, I am a bit overwhelmed by the positive reaction to my weathering job. As I said before, it was my first serious attempt to weather a diesel, only used some chalks on my diesels before. Usually I am reluctant doing this to my engines, because I don’t like working with paint too much and it is difficult to predict the result – you can completely ruin the engine. It was different with this engine, because I bought it with the intention to make it look like some of the old patched ex SP units, so I didn’t hesitate to start weathering it …

And yes, you all convinced me to leave it as it is – no patches.
  17. jesso

jesso Member

18. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

jesso, thank you for that interesting pic, I haven’t seen it before :wave:. I know that SP 2690 was one of the engines that was never patched. But it is settled anyway, I am not going to patch my engine.