Southern Pacific MP15DC

trainworm

after seeing these things in the LHS, I had to pick one up. but unfortunately, Atlas didnt get the SP details right. so I had to come up with a fix. I decided to add a cab from an Athearn SP SW1500. then I cut off the headlight section on the MP15DC and added the front headlight section of the Athearn SP SW1500. it all fits together really well. then all I had to do was add details, paint, decal, and weather the loco.

here is what I ended up with:

sp%20mp15dc%20finish%201.jpg

sp%20mp15dc%20finish%202.jpg

sp%20mp15dc%20finish%203.jpg

sp%20mp15dc%20finish%204.jpg

I think i might have ended up with a bit too much rust on the cab roof, but overall it turned out pretty well.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I think i might have ended up with a bit too much rust on the cab roof, but overall it turned out pretty well.

I guess the latter justifies the former. Nice work! :thumb:

I'm waiting for the Athearn MP15AC.
Pete

babydot94513

Member in training
Hey, Worm - can I send you some stuff to work on?

I have a good friend in my club that does work of your caliber and seeing your work for the first time and having known, Paul and his work, I consider yours on his equal.

JD

BTW - as far as too much rust, who cares - it is SP and prototypical

Russ Bellinis

trainworm said:

I'm not sure it is possible to get too much rust anywhere on a SP loco. I think if you just painted one rust without any black or red, you could probably find a prototype pic to match it! S.P. is known for some dirty, rusty, locomotives. It is what makes a lot of West coast modelers love the S.P.

jetrock

Indeed, it looks actually kind of clean compared to the MP15s I see around Sacramento...the only clean spot is the blotch of UP yellow where they painted on the new numbers.