Southern Pacific MP15DC

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by trainworm, Jan 13, 2006.

1. trainworm

trainworm Member

after seeing these things in the LHS, I had to pick one up. but unfortunately, Atlas didnt get the SP details right. so I had to come up with a fix. I decided to add a cab from an Athearn SP SW1500. then I cut off the headlight section on the MP15DC and added the front headlight section of the Athearn SP SW1500. it all fits together really well. then all I had to do was add details, paint, decal, and weather the loco.

here is what I ended up with:

I think i might have ended up with a bit too much rust on the cab roof, but overall it turned out pretty well.
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

trainworm, that looks Great. Nicely Done.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I guess the latter justifies the former. Nice work! :thumb:

I'm waiting for the Athearn MP15AC.
  4. Art67

Art67 Member

Nice job, I enjoyed your website as well. keep up the good work.
  5. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Hey, Worm - can I send you some stuff to work on?

I have a good friend in my club that does work of your caliber and seeing your work for the first time and having known, Paul and his work, I consider yours on his equal.

BTW - as far as too much rust, who cares - it is SP and prototypical
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great job, Alex! The locomotive looks great!
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm not sure it is possible to get too much rust anywhere on a SP loco. I think if you just painted one rust without any black or red, you could probably find a prototype pic to match it! S.P. is known for some dirty, rusty, locomotives. It is what makes a lot of West coast modelers love the S.P.
  8. jetrock

jetrock Member

Indeed, it looks actually kind of clean compared to the MP15s I see around Sacramento...the only clean spot is the blotch of UP yellow where they painted on the new numbers.